Touch screen app

dpiearcy
Go to solution Solved by dpiearcy,

I have no idea where to start with this.  I'm a php, html developer so this one is a bit over my head.  Here's what I want to do...

I have a touch screen in an office.  I want a video to play after no user input for a specified amount of time.  For the sake of argument let's say 1 minute.  I know I can just use the screen saver function for this but...

I also want a UI at the bottom with links to different aspects of clients business.  I have a few options for displaying this information but will probably stick with HTML.  This will all be located locally so no server side coding (php).  

WHAT should I be looking into to develop this?  Video plays after 1 minute of no input but still gives me UI to launch (or close video) browser to learn more about clients business?  

Thought about action script but with the near death of Flash I haven't written Action script in 3 years probably.  So not sure that's an option.  

Javascript (as far as I know) can't detect idle time.  

This is such an easy task I don't want to have to write a C++ application just to do this.  

Where should I look?  

Thanks

I'm not really sure where you are stuck.

This could easily be done in html, css and javascript.

Javascript (as far as I know) can't detect idle time.

It can indeed. Just restart a timer at the end of any event, if that timer ever gets to 1 minute, you know the user hasn't touched the screen in 1 minute.

I'm not really sure where you are stuck.

This could easily be done in html, css and javascript.

It can indeed. Just restart a timer at the end of any event, if that timer ever gets to 1 minute, you know the user hasn't touched the screen in 1 minute.

Good idea on the timer.  That would work. 

Thanks.  

Ok.  I know this is in the wrong forum now but since I started here....

TRQ... I did as you suggested and my timer works perfectly and I can fire events after idle for set time.  (just used .hide on a div for testing).  

After searching the vast google web... I'm unable to figure out how to play a video (full screen at best) after my condition is met.  I can redirect to another page with the video embedded but then if my controls are on that page I will begin to open multiple browser windows.  I need the video to begin playing, much like a screen saver would, after idle but still have the flexibility to have my controls on that page.  Which I will hide in a div when mouse is active.  Will only show the controls when condition is met.  Can I possibly put the embedded video in a div that I hide until conditions are met?  If so, how to make it auto play?

Thanks

Of course.

There are all sorts of javascript libraries around for controlling html5's video element. Take a look on Github. video-js looks interesting: https://github.com/zencoder/video-js

I was afraid you were going to say this.  My goal was to keep from updating said clients OS.  He's using XP so the latest browser I can use is IE 8.  Not sure how new a browser other than my most hated IE I could use though.  May look into that before updating to a new version of Windows.  Or, if I had it my way I'd have him buy a mac then we are talking xcode and this whole project gets easier :-)

Thanks for the input.  Glad to hear I'm heading in the right direction.  HTML5 would make this easier as well so thinking I need to go that direction before further development time on this.  

• Solution

Chrome should run fine on xp :)

Yes sir.  That's what they are saying anyway.  I don't have that computer at my liberty at the moment to download it but I'll do that tomorrow.  So for the time being, I'll just code away in HTML5 on my MAC and assume this is correct ;-)

Now to give back.  Think I'll head over and see if there's any questions I can answer on subjects I know more about.  

Thanks again sir!

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.