Laptop Suggestions

computermax2328

Hello All,

There comes a time in everyone man's life when he has to let go of his childhood laptop....

Anyway, I have had the same computer for 8 years, maxed out the RAM at 2GBs, added an new 320 GB hard drive, added a new CD drive and even went as far as switching out the CPU. The only thing I haven't done is replaced the motherboard. Obviously, I am not going to waste my time on that.

Seeing as I am graduating college in a few weeks, I thought I would turn to my fellow PHP community to ask for some suggestions. Here are the two sides of the spectrum:

Side one: HP Spectre 14t-3200 Ultrabook

• Sleek, slim and lite
  • SDD
  • Reviews say the graphics card isn't the best

Side two: Alienware 14X

• Dedicated graphics card
  • Powerhouse of a laptop
  • Love the look and feel of the body
  • Too Heavy

Those are the two opposite sides of the spectrum. Any suggestions in between are good. There are a couple of things I am looking for.

1. Intel i7 quad core processor
  2. Minimum 6gb of ram
  3. dedicated graphics card (Not built into the CPU)
  4. full HD 1600x900
  5. Preferred no disk tray, slide in preferred. If it doesnt have one that is fine.
  6. Decent battery

On my laptop I do pretty much everything. I do a little bit of gaming here and there. Obviously, I code and do other web development stuff. I work with the adobe design suite here and there. Also some small video editing. A lot of multitasking stuff.

Please don't mention the Mac Book Pro or the Mac Book Air. I have my reasons for not wanting one and I will leave it at that.

Any suggestions will help. Thanks!

Just graduating college and going into the software field?  If so, I'd go sleek and slim for your personal laptop.  You're likely to end up with a big bulky powerhouse from work, always nice to have something more portable too.

Not into the software field. Web development has always been a hobby of mine so I am going to get my masters in web development and maybe teach it in college. Right now I just do SEO analysis.

Either way I just want something a like more powerful then the HP Spectre

• 4 weeks later...

1: DELL Alienware M17x (m17x10-1847DSB) NoteBook Intel Core i7 740QM(1.73GHz) 17.0" 6GB Memory 500GB HDD DVD±R/RW Dual ATI Mobility Radeon HD 5870

2: ASUS G73 Gaming Series G73JH-BST7 Notebook Intel Core i7 740QM(1.73GHz) 17.3" 6GB Memory 640GB HDD 5400rpm DVD Super Multi ATI Mobility Radeon HD 5870

3: Dell Inspiron 17R N7110 17.3" Laptop (Intel Core i7-2630QM Quad-Core Processor, 8 GB RAM, Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit)

4: HP Pavilion dv7t Quad: It came equipped with a second-generation 2-GHz Intel Quad Core i7-2630QM CPU, 8GB of RAM, and dual hard drives--a 500GB, 7,200-rpm hard drive plus a 160GB SSD. You also get switchable graphics with 1GB of video memory. The base model costs $1,099 and features the same processor, 6GB of RAM, and a 750GB, 5,400-rpm hard drive. While our model didn't include a Blu-ray drive, the base model does as a free upgrade.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.