What is the best method for resizing images to a fixed height and width while maintaining image ratio?

unemployment

On my startups site you'll notice in the featured destinations section that I have destination images that have a fixed height and width set by using CSS. The problem is that my images do not maintain their proportion, yet I want them at this size and I want them to look good.

How should I resolve this issue? Should I make sure that all images that are uploaded are cropped at the necessary ratio? If so, can I do this automatically using PHP so that I don't have to manually do it?

There are two options that I know of. Method one is to use CSS. If you put a fixed div around your image, you can make it fluid if you want, you can set that div's overflow you hidden so that anything that is bigger than the div will be hidden. The second method is to use PHP to crop the photo when it is uploaded. You can Google a tutorial on that if you would like to use that method.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.