MsSql connection to dedicated server assistance needed

vbcoach

Hey guys & gals!  I could use some assistance here.

My hosting provider is switching me from an older web server that had PHP on MsSql (2000) all on one box, to a new server with now a dedicated MsSql (2008) server.  That's cool, and I can take advantage of the upgraded features.  However I am at a crossroads here.  My previous connection settings were pretty straight-forward:

/*
     * MsSQL settings
     */
    define ( "MSSQL_SERVER"   , "localhost" );
    define ( "MSSQL_USER"     , "xxxxxxxx" );
    define ( "MSSQL_PASSWORD" , "xxxxxxxxx" );
    define ( "MSSQL_DATABASE" , "mydatabase" );

Well guess what?  Now I am not connecting.  I have tried adding the IP address instead of localhost as the new SQL server is separate and dedicated.  Certainly not an expert on these things, so I could use some assistance in generating the new connection string.

Can anyone offer assistance please?

Changing the server from localhost to the IP should be all you need. Make sure the username/password/dbname are the same and didn't get changed (or update your settings accordingly). If it won't connect you'll need to post what the error your getting is (or perhaps just email your host for support).

I tried changing to IP.  No joy.  I can connect to it via SSMS without issue.  My ISP says this is a coding issue and has just told me to "google it".  All I know is that I get zero output, so is there a quick, down, and dirty way to create or test connections for connectivity via php?

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.