New Job! Im Learning..But I Desire To Impress My Boss!

JoshB312

Hey guys/gals!

This is my first post so first off i want to say hello!!

I have recently just got a new job as a Junior Web Developer. I got the job due to my enthusiasm and drive to succeed in the development industry. I am currently learning php at work and it is going extremly well as i pick things up very quick.

I have been learning about

1. $_GET
  2. $_POST
  3. Functions
  4. Database Related things
  5. OOP Classes
  6. HTML
  7. Arrays

ect ect ect.

My boss is very very happy with my progress within this short space of time but i am now looking for someone who i can maybe add to skype ect to learn even more in my area! I want to create new things and i get a buzz out of seeing an output! If there is anyone out there who would be willing to help a future php developer then please hit me up!

Thanks again!!

Josh

Slow down. Make sure you have a solid understanding of what you've seen so far. You'll impress him/her more by knowing a single concept solidly than by knowing a small amount of many subjects.

[edit] Really. When I see programmers who know one topic very, very well then I'm impressed they've learned so much about it, especially since today's web development has so much focus on being able to do everything. The problem is that while developers know about a number of concepts and have a general idea of everything, truth is they're not really good at any one thing. It's easier to introduce a new concept to someone and let them explore the depths of that then to have to make them unlearn bad information and practices that they picked up trying to rush through the subject matter.

Edited by requinix

Hey Man,

Congrats on your new job! A desire to become a web developer is one thing we have in common!

Seriously though, requinix is right. Slow down and make sure you know the basics. I have been learning PHP for about a year now and I have been a part of this community for about the same amount of time. The biggest mistake I see around here with new developers, not saying that I have a huge amount of experience, is that they don't know the simplest basics. How to concatenate properly, the different between a " and a ' in an echo, the proper syntax for a mysqli query.

It takes time! Shadow some of the gurus and admins on here, learn from them and you will be learning proper practices in no time. In the mean time use sites like lynda.com, codeacademy and codeavengers to learn more. I also use W3Schools to learn proper function uses.

Enjoy! 

umm this thread should belong to another section, right? Anyway, buy a book about advanced OOP concepts will help, Id recommend Matt Zandstra's Object, Patterns and Practices, it has everything you will need to further improve your skills.

Yeah, because it's pretty clear that the op is at that stage in there learning.

Thanks for the input guys its much appreciated!

If any of you are willing to add me to skype so i can shadow you / ask questions it would be greatly appreciated

My Skype is Josh312 if you are interested.

Any feedback is welcome and appreciated

Josh

Thanks for the input guys its much appreciated!

If any of you are willing to add me to skype so i can shadow you / ask questions it would be greatly appreciated

My Skype is Josh312 if you are interested.

Any feedback is welcome and appreciated

Josh

Your kinda missing the point of the forum aren't you?

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.