Why doesn't separating the dollar sign work

jasonkirk

Setup a array that held all the query info for a database with the plan to put the second of code that updates the database into a function.  But hasn't been working.  In the end I widdled it down to the question, why don't these two bits of code work the same?

Array:

$database_info = array("db_table_name" => tbl_detentions, "db_field_names" => array("rel_student_uid", "detention_date"));

Database code:

$query = "INSERT INTO ". $database_info['db_table_name'];
$query .= " (" . $database_info['db_field_names'][0] . ", " . $database_info['db_field_names'][1] . ") VALUES ";
$query .= "($" . "rel_student_uid, '$detention_date')";
$result = mysql_query($query);

$query .= " (" . $database_info['db_field_names'][0] . ", " . $database_info['db_field_names'][1] . ") VALUES ";
$query .= "($rel_student_uid, '$detention_date')";

$ in php marks the calling of a var weather it be array or what not if the $ is used improperly it will error out

$query .= "($" . "rel_student_uid, '$detention_date')";

reads the $ as a var call with no var name

$query .= "($rel_student_uid, '$detention_date')";

reads the $rel_student_uid as a var for php to call

any $ inside " " will be treated as a php var to avoid this if you are thing $ as just a character use mysql escape or enclose it in ' ' 

this making any $ inside a ' ' reas as text unless code escaped with ' ' . $var . ' ' or for doubles " " . $var . " " i personally always code escape my var and use mysql escape

i hope this helps

Thanks it helps a bit though still haven't quite grasped. Tried making the original array variable have the $ instead of after the fact and using the mysql escape but still get the variable name $rel_student_uid instead of the actual uid.

INSERT INTO tbl_detentions (rel_student_uid, detention_date) VALUES ('$rel_student_uid', '2013-3-3')

$database_info = array("db_table_name" => tbl_detentions, "db_field_names" => array("rel_student_uid", "detention_date"), "form_fields" => array('$rel_student_uid', "$detention_date"));

// Add detention to database BEGIN
$testt = mysql_real_escape_string($database_info['form_fields'][0]);

$query .= "('" . mysql_real_escape_string($testt) . "', '$detention_date')";
$message .= $query;
if($result) {
$message .= "<center>Student given detention.</center>";

} else {
$message .= "Problem adding detention to student record.";
$message .= "<br>" . $query;

}
$detention_count++;
}
// Add detention to database END

Yea, I'm starting to see that treating ' and " the same has finally caught up and bit me.  I tended to do it to avoid escape characters so I could have quotes inside quotes without the confusion of \ all over the place.  Still haven't figured out the right combination yet.  I can break things worse but can't seem to go in the other direction.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.