newbie apache question please

fran1942

Hello, excuse this newbie question.

I have just installed apache on my win2000 platform.

I have a normal adsl connection with a static IP.

I have set up a pinhole on my router to direct all port 80 traffic to my apache hosting pc at it's specific internal LAN address (I have two computers on my home net).

I have started up apache and it is running fine when accessed from my internal LAN IP address.

However when I do a firewall scan from one of the free services available on the net, they do not show my port 80 as being open.

HOW DO I TEST IF MY APACHE IS AVAILABLE TO THE WIDER WORLD ?

(are there any free sites that can attempt a port 80 access on my IP ?)

Also when I enter my static IP with port 80 into a browser from my LAN (same computer apache is running on) I only get the http page of my ADSL router.

IS THERE ANY WAY TO TEST APACHE IS LISTENING TO MY ADSL STATIC IP FROM INSIDE MY LAN ?

Questions:

How can I test my apache server visible to the outside world?

How come firewall checks from outside do not show my open port 80 ?

How can I check my apache server is available to others on the web ?

thank you kindly for any help to get me going.

Phil

Guest footballkid4

Answers:

If your computer is going to be a mainstream server, enable DMZ in your router settings

If not, use port forwarding in your router settings to allow access by the service "net" on port 80

If your router has Remote Administrator capability, we can do that for you as well

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.