How to echo a mysqli table

shadowpat
Go to solution Solved by jcbones,

Hello,

For the past day I have been trying to echo all of a mysqli table. Although I keep getting tons of errors.

Right now my code is:

$result = mysqli_query($connection,"SELECT * FROM ".$myusername."-mail ORDER BY date ASC");

while($row = mysqli_fetch_array($result))
  {
  echo "done";
  echo "<br>";
  }

Right now I get this error: Warning: mysqli_fetch_array() expects parameter 1 to be mysqli_result, boolean given in /hermes/bosoraweb172/b2121/ipg.unityinvtorg/main.php on line 63

line 63 is the "while" line that i posted here.....

Thank you so much!

Patrick

Edited by shadowpat

mysqli_fetch_array() expects parameter 1 to be mysqli_result, boolean given

Check for $result before you call mysqli_fetch_array. It's apparently returning false.

$result = mysqli_query($connection,"SELECT * FROM ".$myusername."-mail ORDER BY date ASC");

if ($result) {
   while($row = mysqli_fetch_array($result)) {
     echo "done";
     echo "<br>";
    }
} else {
  echo "Oh noes, an error!";
}
Edited by dalecosp

Thanks for the speedy reply! Now i get this error:

Warning: mysqli_fetch_array() expects parameter 1 to be mysqli_result, object given in /hermes/bosoraweb172/b2121/ipg.unityinvtorg/main.php on line 63

again line 63 is the "while" line

thanks!

Edited by shadowpat

@Jessica:

ok now i have 

$result = mysqli_query($connection,"SELECT * FROM ".$myusername."-mail ORDER BY date ASC") or trigger_error("Query Failed! SQL: $sql - Error: ".mysqli_error(), E_USER_ERROR);

while($row=mysqli_fetch_array($connection,$result))
  {
  echo "done";
  echo "<br>";
  }

and get this error:

Warning: mysqli_error() expects exactly 1 parameter, 0 given in /hermes/bosoraweb172/b2121/ipg.unityinvtorg/main.php on line 61 Fatal error: Query Failed! SQL: - Error: in /hermes/bosoraweb172/b2121/ipg.unityinvtorg/main.php on line 61

Edited by shadowpat

try echoing your query to make sure it contains what you expect it to contain

Thanks. This does not solve the problem, or give me any info..... here is my code now:

echo "The \$result variable contains: ".$result;
echo "<br/>";

if ($result) {
     echo "done";
     echo "<br>";
    }
} else {
  echo "Oh noes, an error!";
}

when i do echo "The \$result variable contains: ".$result;

all i get is The $result Variable is:

That is all.....

please help

Edited by shadowpat

I think you need some basic lessons on programming. You can't just copy and paste code into yours and expect it to work.

That isn't what I was doing at first.... I used my own code from a mysql table, and changed it over to mysqli.... but since that didnt really work i kind of had to copy some other code..... i do know how to program you know. How well could you program in PHP or even MYSQLI when you were 13?

Edited by shadowpat

the current error is because mysqli_error( ... ) requires the mysqli connection resource as a parameter.

Here is my code now... i get a new error with more info:

echo "The \$result variable contains: ".$result;
echo "<br/>";

if ($result) {
     echo "done";
     echo "<br>";
    }
} else {
  echo "Error message".mysqli_error($connection);
}

Now i get an error telling me that there is an error near -mail. There is a variable near -mail.... maybe that is the cause of the error?

the problem is that your table name contains a special character that makes it look like it's a subtraction problem.

A) you should not use special characters in a table/column name unless you know how you would make it work with that special character in the name.

B) you should NOT make a separate table for each user.

Edited by mac_gyver

• Solution

This is similar to where you should be, taking all the info out of a database, and dumping it back to the screen:

commented up

<?php
include('connection.php'); //make sure you have a mysqli connection.
$sql = "SELECT * FROM `{$myusername}-mail` ORDER BY date ASC"; //define your sql statement.
$result = mysqli_query($connection,$sql) or trigger_error($sql . ' - has encountered an error at:<br />' . mysqli_error($connection)); //call the sql statement, if it errors give us de-bugging info.
$fields = mysqli_fetch_fields($connection); //get your field list.
$field_count = mysqli_num_fields($connection); //get the number of fields.
echo '<table>' . "\n" . '<tr>'; //start a table.
$i = 0; //define a counter.
foreach($fields as $field) { //for each field
if(++$i == 1) { //if this is the first run of the foreach statemnt.
echo '<th colspan="' . $field_count . '">' . $field->table . '</th></tr><tr>'; //print out a table header with the table name.
}
echo "\n" . '<th>' . $field-name . '</th>'; //print the column name at the top of each column.
}
echo '</tr>'; //ends the column row.
while($row = mysqli_fetch_row($result)) { //while you still have data left in the table:
    echo '<tr><td>' . implode('</td><td>' , $row) . '</td></tr>';     //dump it all into a row, matching the data to the correct column.
}
echo '</table>'; //ends the table.

Sometimes it helps to just see it, with comments to follow what it is doing.

the problem is that your table name contains a special character that makes it look like it's a subtraction problem.

A) you should not use special characters in a table/column name unless you know how you would make it work with that special character in the name.

B) you should NOT make a separate table for each user.

+1.

Explain your data and perhaps someone can give you a good layout for a real *relational* database. Having a table for every user is a big no-no. :)

This is similar to where you should be, taking all the info out of a database, and dumping it back to the screen:

commented up

<?php
$sql = "SELECT * FROM `{$myusername}-mail` ORDER BY date ASC"; //define your sql statement.
$result = mysqli_query($connection,$sql) or trigger_error($sql . ' - has encountered an error at:<br />' . mysqli_error($connection)); //call the sql statement, if it errors give us de-bugging info.
echo '<th colspan="' . $field_count . '">' . $field->table . '</th></tr><tr>'; //print out a table header with the table name.
}
echo "\n" . '<th>' . $field-name . '</th>'; //print the column name at the top of each column.
}
while($row = mysqli_fetch_row($result)) { //while you still have data left in the table:
    echo '<tr><td>' . implode('</td><td>' , $row) . '</td></tr>';     //dump it all into a row, matching the data to the correct column.
}

thanks i will try that soon... stay posted

commented up

<?php
}
}
}

YAY! that solved it! That code had a few errors, but I changed a few things and got it working. Thanks allot! Also, the tables didnt work... i will post a new question to see if anybody can get it to work. thanks!

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.