MySQL Queries

DavidKing0r

Hi. I have a rather large database and i require to search 'Short Item Name' for keywords (2/3 words). Not all 3 words need to be in each result. Also I'd like to know how I would search 'Number' for a partial match so if one of the records 'Number' was 098214984212 and I entered 4984212 (last 7) into a form how would i retrieve that record?

Thanks really appreciate if anyone helps me out.

dave

Thanks i gathered that having a bit of trouble now though. Heres what I have in my Table for example.

No             | Short Name        | Long Name 
21421414 | Treble blah tree | Treble tree with a blah ring

52352352 | wqe weqwe         | wqe weqwe weqrqwr rwqr qw

Im now trying to search the short name with 

$query = "SELECT * FROM DB WHERE 'Short Item Name' LIKE '%$searchTerm1%' AND '%$searchTerm2%'";

However it doesnt appear to work any ideas?

Edited by DavidKing0r

The right syntax should be something like:

SELECT * FROM tbl_name WHERE column_name_1 LIKE '%a%' AND column_name_2 LIKE '%b';

Also, don't quote the tables and columns it's a wrong sql syntax.

Sorry, I am in a hurry.

Edited by jazzman1

To elaborate a tad further, you often see this:

select `something` from `someplace` where `some_condition` = 1234;
Those are "backticks", and people that use them use them in order to make sure that their SQL server, (MySQL in this case, and especially) doesn't choke on any terms.

For example, you can use a reserved word as a column name, but only if you enclose it in backticks. I tend NOT to use them, and to (properly, I believe) refrain from using SQL Reserved Words as column names.

HTH,

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.