Check for Specific Class

berridgeab
Go to solution Solved by Strider64,

Hello

Looking for a way to check for a specific class, can't believe I can't solve something so simple.

<?php
class UnregisteredUser {}
class RegisteredUser extends UnregisteredUser {}

$unregisteredUser = new UnregisteredUser();
$registeredUser = new RegisteredUser();

if($registeredUser instanceof UnregisteredUser)
{
    //Section A
}
elseif($registeredUser instanceof RegisteredUser)
{
    //Section B
}
?>

I want to check if variable $registeredUser is an instance of RegisteredUser.

With the above code, Because RegisteredUser inherits from UnregisteredUser, it executes section A (even though I don't want it too).

Is there anyway I can check if a class is actually a specific class with no consideration to its inherited properties?

I know instanceof doesn't work, nor does is_a().

Is my class design ok?

The only reason RegisteredUser inherits from UnregisteredUser is because it contains functions and properties that are common to both classes. I could seperate them but  defeats the purpose of inheritance.

• Solution

I find it easier to find out what privileges a user has then doesn't have and having a User/Member class simplifies that for all one has to do is something like:

// Method returns a Boolean if the user is an administrator:
    public function isAdmin() {
        return ($this->userType == 'admin');
    }
Edited by Strider64

On the surface of it, that doesn't look like the right way to do things.  I think you would be better having a single "User" class with, perhaps, a status property that defines if the user is registered or unregistered.

I omitted the functions / properties to keep the example simple but I do have a basic User class. It just made sense to me that seen as a RegisteredUser has all the properties of an UnregisteredUser that the RegisteredUser should extend from that class.

I could get around it doing the checks you have suggested but I can't believe there is nothing native in PHP that says "are you an instance of this particular class?".

In the end I have opted for get_class($var) which allows me to check the class string name.

I omitted the functions / properties to keep the example simple but I do have a basic User class. It just made sense to me that seen as a RegisteredUser has all the properties of an UnregisteredUser that the RegisteredUser should extend from that class.

The point being made is that you should not have 3 user classes. You need 1. You don't need RegisteredUser and UnregisteredUser.

I could get around it doing the checks you have suggested but I can't believe there is nothing native in PHP that says "are you an instance of this particular class?".

There is.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.