3 tables joining, output errors

Q695
Go to solution Solved by Q695,

I have a MySQL error that's working correctly, but the output is erroring.  What's wrong with how I'm calling the output?

I tried the two types of calls:

$row['table_3.table_3_field']

$row['table_3'].['table_3_field']

Edited by Q695

Then it could pull one variable with the same name, or the other of the same name.  How do you guarantee that the proper variable name will be pulled every time, when it could pull the wrong one on a fluke.  right now it's working, but may not on an error.

Edited by Q695

Yes, but that should throw a query error that you have ambiguous field name. But that can be solved by adding in the query something like:

SELECT table1.field1 as t1field1, table2.field1 as t2field1, table3.field1 as t3field1 .....

So then you can pull out the field you need with $row['t1filed1'], $row['t2field1'] and so on.

You can do something like:

Select table1.*, table2.field as t2field, table3.field as t3field ..

Use the * for the table where you need all of the columns and from the other tables specify which fields you need and add "as" where needed (fields that have same name in more tables).

Avoid using the "*" when doing a select. Its not a good practice. Always fetch only the fields you need. Fetching more data then needed is never a good idea.

It's not often that you require every field from the records in a table so just select the ones that you need. If you SELECT * when joining tables then you are guaranteed to have the same value selected twice.

The time taken by a query is proportional to the amount of data retrieved so for optimum efficiency keep the amount of data to a minimum.

SELECT * , `items`.`name` as item_name

seems to be pulling out all of the variables in the item_name column, and setting them to item_name.

this is the like query:

'item_name' LIKE '%item_name%'

When it should be pulling things like: "necklace", and "ring", which are the phpmyadmin values.

when it print_r I get something like the following:

Array ( [auction_id] => 1 [seller] => 1 [bidder] => 1 [item] => 1 [price] => 2 [time] => 0 [id] => 1 [item_slot] => 1 [name] => Kevin => necklace.jpg [att_rate] => 5 [def_rate] => 5 [att] => 5 [def] => 5 [health] => 5 [level_req] => 1 [bio] => """''' [energy] => 2182 [energy_update] => 50 [experience] => 416 [to_level] => 50 [level] => 0 [att_rate_total] => 16 [def_rate_total] => 16 [att_total] => 16 [def_total] => 16 [health_total] => 16 [gold] => 500 [premium] => 5 [c_x] => 1 [c_y] => 1 [c_z] => 1 [location] => 1 [item_name] => necklace )

What am I doing wrong?

How would we know. We don't know

• your table structures
  • your query
  • what you expect

Sorry,but my crystal ball needs recharging

Now that your crystal ball is fixed, what's wrong with this variable loader

if(isset($_POST['name']) && $_POST['name']!=''){
 $name=$_POST['name'];
	 	$search="item_name LIKE '%$name%' AND";
} else {$name='';}

The AND is in the right place for how I'm writing the search algorithm.

Is there a syntax error in the criteria builder if that's the first search item?

the search statement if there's added criteria:

$sql_auction="SELECT * , `items`.`name` as item_name
FROM auction, items, user_data
WHERE $search `auction`.`item` = `items`.`id`
AND `auction`.`seller` = `user_data`.`id`
ORDER BY time ASC
$limit";

Edited by Q695

SELECT * , `items`.`name` as item_name FROM auction, items, user_data WHERE `auction`.`item` = `items`.`id` AND `auction`.`seller` = `user_data`.`id` ORDER BY time ASC LIMIT 0 , 10

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.