Update database and send an e-mail

Hello there!

I've been trying the last few dates to create a function that not only inserts a record into my database but also notifies the administrators with an e-mail that specific data have been inserted.

This a request form for support. The user submits the form and the new entry goes to my database. In order to avoid checking the database all the time for new requests, I want that values inserted to be e-mailed to a list of recipients.

Can someone provide me with some information please?

Upto now i have it working fine BUT without the e-mail function.

Thank you.

• 1 month later...

[!--quoteo(post=314026:date=Nov 2 2005, 11:40 AM:name=athosflorides)--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(athosflorides @ Nov 2 2005, 11:40 AM) 314026[/snapback][/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--quotec--]

Hello there!

I've been trying the last few dates to create a function that not only inserts a record into my database but also notifies the administrators with an e-mail that specific data have been inserted.

This a request form for support. The user submits the form and the new entry goes to my database. In order to avoid checking the database all the time for new requests, I want that values inserted to be e-mailed to a list of recipients.

Can someone provide me with some information please?

Upto now i have it working fine BUT without the e-mail function.

Thank you.

the idea is to run a check to make sure that you are successfully inserting the record into the DB. if it is a success, then emal. so, you'd want to run something like this:

<?php
$sql = "INSERT INTO tablename VALUES ('', 'whatever')"; // this is your query
if (mysql_query($sql)) // returns true if it's successful
{
  $to = 'you@yourdomain.com';
  $sub = "New DB entry";
  $msg = "New entry has been entered, values are: "; // any message you want to send
  mail($to, $sub, $msg);
}
?>

that's really all ther is to it (with some modifications to fit your code, obviously).

good luck!

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.