css nesting

hackalive

Hi guys,

I saw this in some CSS ages ago and cannot remember where so cannot remember how it goes exactly ... but i'd like to do somehting like this with my css:

<htmi id="something">

<style>

#something {

h1 {

}

}

#other {

h1 {

}

}

so if anyone know how it works or how to make it work thatd be great!

cheers

Edited by hackalive

CSS doesn't have "nesting" like that but you can

CSS doesn't have it, but SASS does. SASS is pretty much CSS on steroids. It saves a lot of time and aggravation. Not only does it let you nest elements, but it also lets you assign variables to values. So instead of having to scroll through your style sheet for that hex-code or rearrange and reorganize your structure, you can do something like $white=#fff; and use it over and over again.

Give it a try. 

Its actually NOT tedious at all. I use Less for everything, running a program call WinLess in the background. Every time I change a Less file, the Less gets compiled into a bootstrap.css file in the css folder automatically. Bootstrap.css is also minified!

Couldnt be easier. Use it.

Edited by DaveyK

• 2 weeks later...

I can very much understand people when they say that they want to use .sass because of variables...

Continuously assigning margin: 0 auto; or whatever styles you might repeat over a few lines for multiple selectors can get tiresome!

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.