Export data from multiple databases with one single select statement

michaeljdornan
Go to solution Solved by Barand,

I have 100+ websites all sitting on a single host and accessable via phpMyAdmin. Each one of these websites uses the same database structure.

I want to pull out all the profile specific information to do a mass mail to all my registered users. I'd then need to combine, sort, remove duplicates and upload to my mail client, I have the following query:

SELECT `NickName`,`FirstName`,`LastName`,`Email` FROM `Profiles`;

What I want to know is can I build a query where I can execute a similar statement yet pull the data from every database and just do one export? Then I can clean the data and upload and send everyone an email? Is this possible?

It should be possible. Use a loop. Pseudocode:

$perm_conn=mysqli_connect(...combined_data);
truncate combined data // make sure you start with an empty table
$databases=Array('db0', 'db1);
foreach ($databases as dbname){
connection=mysqli_connect....$dbname);
$select=//your select goes here
$result=mysqli_query($select);
while $row=mysqli_fetch_assoc($result){
//clean up here and/or at end
//write $row to perm_conn here;
}
close connection to $dbname and free $results here (don't want 100 open connections) 
}
//clean up, dedupe and send here

Actually I like PravinS approach better, which you can also do in a loop.

Edited by davidannis

try

$db = new mysqli(HOST, USERNAME, PASSWORD, DATABASE );

$sql = "SHOW DATABASES";
$res = $db->query($sql);
while (list($dbname) = $res->fetch_row()) {
    switch ($dbname) {
        case 'information_schema':
        case 'mysql':
            continue;
        default :
            $queries[] = "SELECT `NickName`,`FirstName`,`LastName`,`Email` FROM `$dbname`.`Profiles` \n";
            break;;
    }
}

$sql = join(" UNION\n", $queries) . "ORDER BY Email";

echo '<pre>' . $sql . '</pre>';  // $sql IS THE QUERY TO BE EXECUTED

You can check for duplicate emails as you process results

Edited by Barand

try using DATABASENAME.TABLENAME in you select query like this

SELECT `NickName`,`FirstName`,`LastName`,`Email` FROM DATABASENAME.Profiles;

Hi, thanks for the help, PravinS is probably the go for me, quick and easy... I built the query, one issue, some of the databases have a - in them so 'database-name.Profiles;' and SQL is complaining about the - .... I've tried removing and leaving a space, no joy, can I wild card it?

Thanks

Also, I just removed the ones with the dash in - just to test it, the query runs but only displays the results on screen from the last database in the list, and when I click export it jumps to that last database and only executes and pulls the data from the last table, not all database tables...?

Thanks

i think it will not work through phpmyadmin, you can use sqlyog (MySQL GUI Tools), download it from here https://www.webyog.com/

now when you will execute multiple queries in sqlyog query editor, it will give you multiple result in different tabs below the editor, now you will need to export this result one by one in which ever format you want (i.e. csv,sql etc.)

may this will help you

i think it will not work through phpmyadmin, you can use sqlyog (MySQL GUI Tools), download it from here https://www.webyog.com/

now when you will execute multiple queries in sqlyog query editor, it will give you multiple result in different tabs below the editor, now you will need to export this result one by one in which ever format you want (i.e. csv,sql etc.)

may this will help you

Hi PravinS that worked great thanks although still issues with any database with a - in it, half the databases didn't return any data and I got this in the log:

Query: SELECT `NickName`,`FirstName`,`LastName`,`Email` FROM ziguana_cystic-fibrosis.Profiles LIMIT 0, 1000

Error Code: 1064
You have an error in your SQL syntax; check the manual that corresponds to your MySQL server version for the right syntax to use near '-fibrosis.Profiles LIMIT 0, 1000' at line 1

Execution Time : 0 sec
Transfer Time  : 0 sec
Total Time     : 0.558 sec

Thanks

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.