When to use \n vs <br/> ?

DomMarx
Go to solution Solved by Irate,

Hi Guys,

I'm new here and just started learning PHP a couple of days ago. I have to say it's not nearly as intense as I thought it would be (coming from the simple html/css world)  :happy-04:

Anyways, I'm at the point where i'm learning about the /n line break. I was testing it in dreamweaver and saw that none of the browsers (Firefox, Safari, Chrome, etc.) recognize it, which makes perfect sense since browsers don't understand the PHP language. So I was wondering, when and where is the \n line break useful? I know you can spot the break if you check the source code from the browser, but other than that, there is no change on the front-end.

Thanks guys!

Edited by DomMarx

• Solution

\n is used for plaintext.

Since PHP again does not support <br> and \n isn't written directly into the browser (even though <br>s are recognized by JavaScript as \n), you can use string nl2br( string $string ) to give out a proper HTML-formated string.

So you don't really need \n then? Unless it's for cleaning up the source code?

Exactly.  But they also come in handy for writing source code for things such as email headers. By putting \r\n after each mail header you allow sendmail to distinguish the characteristics of that message and display them accordingly.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.