mail servers for redhat 4.4

Jocka

on our dedicated servers we had redhat 4. Because I couldn't get some software to work with it, we had a tech guy come in and upgrade and then install the software. Now my mail server is gone.

I use CPANEL to do most of the crap on the site. Sometimes I use a shell to access to get a little deeper. What email servers are compatible with Redhat 4.4 and cpanel? And any tutorials pointing me in the right direction would be great.

Persionaly i love Exim, mainly because of the way it logs things making fault tracking so easy, and the simple way Clam AV and SpamAssasin works with it.  Also can have a nice webAdmin interface to make adding users, filtering, etc simple.....  Type it into google and it will come up everyware!

If your running Redhat and want a simple way to install things look into the 'yum' comand.  for example you can type 'yum install [i]whateveritis[/i]' into the comand line and assuming it is avalible as an rpm (check through yum search) it will do most of the work for you! no compiling!  Beware you have to specify which servers RedHat should look to for these packages first.  Some reading on it would save you a lot of time.

Red Hat often comes with sendmail on it. If your looking for a webmail interface to interact with either of these once you have got it going i like sqwebmail and squrilmail is often another popular choice.

Best thing about Linux is that theres loads of free help out there on the web, type most things like this into a serch engin and there is bound to be hundreds of resorces, and pro's willing to offer advice!

Hope this helps.  Post below again if i have explained this porly!

Hmm. Not what I was expecting. I asked this question because we upgraded our servers from redhat 4 to redhat 4.4 (only change) and the host (it's a managed dedicated server) told us that EXIM wouldn't work because we upgraded. That is what we was originally using and then it just stopped working after the upgrade. Would it fix itself if I reinstalled it or something?

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.