Database driven photo gallery using jquery

ivgdb

Hi

I'm an Illustrator with little knowledge of web development, i'm experienced in HTML, CSS. I'm ok in PHP and Jquery and SQL

I was wondering if it was possible to make a website where i can upload my illustrations to the database and view them on the website (while also having a jquery style on the images). like this:

http://www.twospy.com/galleriffic/example-2.html

if yes would you be able to give me any tutorial to teach me how to do it.

if you can't find any toturials would you be able to give me tips. e.g. will it be easier to use a different language (i'm willing to teach my self), is there any opensource web development software that will help me do this

Thank you very much for your help

If you know HTML, CSS, PHP, SQL and jquery then you know everything you need.  A good beginner's web book would be all you need to move forward.

What's a "jquery style"?

you know the way it fades in, with the thumbnails (look at the link), I'm good with html and CSS. but with PHP, jquery and SQL I'm a beginnner so not sure if i can do that without jquery

Well, then you have some reading/learning to do if you've gone from "ok in PHP, Jquery and SQL" to a "beginner".

As for the effects - it's not necessarily a jquery effect - js does things like that to - using opacity and timers.

What you want to achieve is very easy with these tools.  But you have to teach yourself some stuff.  You'll have to crawl before you walk and spend some time on this before you're done. 

1 - uploading images - rather than writing a page to do the uploads, why not use an ftp client to upload them all to a staging folder on your server and then write a php/sql script to take their names and put them in a table with identifying attributes for the user to search by?  I would store the filename, an id, the location (the staging folder) unless they will always be in one folder in which case you can just hardcode it in your scripts later, a description of the image to show on the search page or when the user hovers over it, any other pertinent info about the image.

2 - Create the 'search' page for the user to select an image or to show thumbnails (uploaded manually also) and let the user pick an id for the image they want to view.

3 - Create the display script to show the user's chosen image by accepting his input and reading the table entry for the selected id and get all the data about it

It is possible, I would do it with flash (the loading circle was on for a moment).  They're targeting a flash <a> from what I've seen (the loading circle).

Copy the <div id="container"> from there, read the code, and write your own to run it.

Edited by Q695

i'm finding it really hard to find information on this.

i found out how to make a page to edit images with detail to the database.

but not a lot on how to post the images on a website with a gallery layout

and tips on which books/blogs/websites to read to help me with this

thank you

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.