DATE_FORMAT question

mastubbs
Go to solution Solved by kicken,

Hi All,

So I am using this query to return some values.:

$Find_Query2 = mysql_query("SELECT patients.*, addobs.*
FROM addobs INNER JOIN patients ON addobs.MRN = patients.MRN
WHERE addobs.datetime = (SELECT MAX(OLAST.datetime) FROM addobs AS OLAST WHERE OLAST.MRN = patients.MRN)
AND addobs.par > 6 
AND NOT addobs.hidden = 'yes'
AND COALESCE(patients.ward,'') != 'dc'
order by addobs.par ASC");

However, i one of the values ('datetime') is in the php datetime format yyyy-mm-dd hh:ii:ss. I want to return this in a different format dd/mm/yyyy hh:ii:ss. I tried using DATE_FORMAT as thats what i usually use to do this but i think my syntax is wrong as it is returning no results for 'datetime' in the way i am using it. I think im getting confused with my brackets somewhere.

$Find_Query2 = mysql_query("SELECT patients.*, addobs.*
WHERE addobs.datetime = (SELECT DATE_FORMAT(MAX(OLAST.datetime), '%d/%m/%Y %H:%i:%s') FROM addobs AS OLAST WHERE OLAST.MRN = patients.MRN)
AND addobs.par > 6 
order by addobs.par ASC");

Can anybody tell me what im doing wrong here?

Thanks in advance for any help,

Matt

• Solution

If you want the value returned to PHP in a different format, you need to use DATE_FORMAT on the column in the columns of the first SELECT, not in the sub-query.

SELECT patients.*, addobs.*, DATE_FORMAT(addobs.datetime, '%d/%m/%Y %H:%i:%s') as datetimeFormatted 
WHERE addobs.datetime = (SELECT MAX(OLAST.datetime) FROM addobs AS OLAST WHERE OLAST.MRN = patients.MRN)
AND addobs.par > 6 
order by addobs.par ASC
That will select the field addobs.datetime with the new format under the name datetimeFormatted. So in your PHP you'd access it as $row['datetimeFormatted']

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.