Serious Case of Developers Block

rwhite35

Okay, here's a question for the collective conscience that is PHP Freaks.  How do you overcome a serious (or even moderate) case of Developers Block...  I mean I'm hang'en round forums, answering posts, playing my guitar, talking to the walls, you name it.  Just can't seem to get past a particular juncture in an development process.  It's not a syntactical issue and I have a road map and all that best practice stuff...

Its a motivation issue.  You get about 5K + lines of code in to a project and POW... You hit a wall... 

Any and all suggestions are appreciated and will likely be at least considered as viable options.

The best thing to do when that happens is take a break. Like Phailip I usually go for a run or drive somewhere. Then, while out, I usually have an idea or the motivation comes back so I rush home.

The worst thing to do is force yourself through the wall.

Both great suggestions, keep them coming.  This has been going on for a week or so now and efforts to distract myself don't seem to be getting me back on track.  I think this is typical of any creative process, be it development, song writing or painting.  You get to this place where the "technician" seems to be doing the same sorts of things over and over again. 

Maybe a better questions would have been how do you keep development fresh and new, when in reality the algorithms, routines, processes and methodologies are pretty much the same.

So you say it is motivational "blocking" and not an issue of not being able to solve a particular problem. One solution, in my opinion, is to look at the work/problems differently. Just because you've solved the same problem multiple times before using the same process doesn't necessarily mean you have to do it that way again. Although, maybe you do depending on the technical requirements. But, one option is to try and look at the problem differently to see what improvements or changes you could make in creating a different solution. Is there some new technology you could use and get experience with?

• 2 weeks later...

Been hit with a case of the developers block lately. After contemplating why for a bit I've come to realize that, for this project anyway, a lot of it boils down to design/layout work. I'm not much of a designer so when it comes to developing the UI for a person to use for an app I always end up finding what I make to be unorganized or unsightly, but can't figure out a good way to fix it. That in turn kills my motivation to do anything with the project.

I've not yet found any good way around that block. Putting it down for a while and doing something else doesn't really work out all that well.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.