Request to server timing out.

remenissions

Hey guy's, I have a private web server that I have set up for small business use. About 5 months ago I switched from using a web host to using my desktop to host myself. I have xampp apache with windows 8. I'm not for sure why, but just recently I have been unable to have people access my webserver. I can connect to it fine when I am connected to my own router.

I don't come here for help unless I've put a good ammount of time (days) trying to figure it out myself. When I was told that the home page was not loading the first thing I noticed is that my external ip was different. So I set the dns to point to my new external ip hoping for a quick fix. After that I checked to make sure my LAN ip was static and it is. After that i checked my netgear router and port 80, 81 are still forwarded for TCP. I checked at canyouseeme.org and the connection timed out. My next thought was that maybe after I recently installed Norton Anti-Virus the firewall settings were blocking something, so I made a new traffic rule for port 80 to be allowed under their firewall settings, I restarted my router and computer and still nothing. I have cox communications for an ISP, some responses i saw on google said the ISP could be blocking the port, but would they really block the apache port? Even after the port has already been working? I'm kind of stuck where to look from here. I noticed some people say you can edit a file in apache conf and have it listen to 8080. I'm at work now so I can't mess with it right now, I'm going to look into it tonight when I get off, but before I mess with something I am not experienced with I was hoping to see what some one more qualified would think. Any Idea's guys? Much appreciated.

[Edit] I also downloaded Port Forward and attempted to use it to see if it could fix the problem for me, how-ever it did not.

Edited by remenissions

I have cox communications for an ISP, some responses i saw on google said the ISP could be blocking the port, but would they really block the apache port? Even after the port has already been working?

Yes, because of this which is in their acceptable use policy that you agreed to abide by:

5. Servers. You may not operate, or allow others to operate, servers of any type or any other device, equipment, and/or software providing server-like functionality in connection with the Service, unless expressly authorized by Cox.

They may have noticed that you started running a server, and as a result, blocked port 80 for you.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.