submit button image

yandoo
Go to solution Solved by yandoo,

Hiya just a quickie, 

I'm using php and trying to echo out a form. It works just fine but when I try and replace the submit button with an image, although the functionality of the form is working the image doesn't appear??? there's just a border around an empty image. 

This was what it was originally

<input type="submit" name="button" id="button" value="Add to Cart" />

And this is what I tried to change it to.

<input type="image" id="button" src"style/add_to_cart.jpg" alt="Add to Cart" />

Any ideas?? Could it be that I using php to echo out this form?

Thanks

This is how you could do it, a quick and dirty way:

<input type="submit" name="submit" id="submit" style="background-image:url('path_to_image/add_to_cart.jpg')"/>

If you do it that way, then you'd probably also want to set the width and height of the button to match that of the dimensions of the image you're using, otherwise it won't display correctly.

Denno

Thanks for your reply Denno. I've had to use more double quotes or `` sloped quotes rather than singles for the url path because the whole form is echoed in php. Doing it this way it doesn't work instead of the image the traditional submit button appears.

Is there a way to get not being able to use the single quotes? 

Thank you

<input type="submit" name="submit" id="submit" style="background-image:url("path_to_image/add_to_cart.jpg")"/>

<input type="submit" name="submit" id="submit" style="background-image:url(`path_to_image/add_to_cart.jpg`)"/>

And this is what I tried to change it to.

<input type="image" id="button" src"style/add_to_cart.jpg" alt="Add to Cart" />

Any ideas?? Could it be that I using php to echo out this form?

Look closer at your "src" parameter - something is missing.

Thanks for your reply Denno. I've had to use more double quotes or `` sloped quotes rather than singles for the url path because the whole form is echoed in php. Doing it this way it doesn't work instead of the image the traditional submit button appears.

Is there a way to get not being able to use the single quotes? 

Thank you

<input type="submit" name="submit" id="submit" style="background-image:url("path_to_image/add_to_cart.jpg")"/>

<input type="submit" name="submit" id="submit" style="background-image:url(`path_to_image/add_to_cart.jpg`)"/>

You need to learn how to work with either type of quote in any context. It shouldn't matter if the output is done inside or outside of an echo statement. I assume you are echoing the string within an echo that is defined using single quotes. There are multiple options to do what you were trying above (even though you can stick with your first attempt after correcting the src parameter). Here is one solution

//Escape the single quotes inside the string
echo '<input type="submit" name="submit" id="submit" style="background-image:url(\'path_to_image/add_to_cart.jpg\')"/>';

• Solution

Thank you for your reply but i tried that too and it still didn't work either. 

Here's how I just fixed it:

css

.button {
background:url(style/add_to_cart.jpg);
width:90px;
height:25px;
border:0px;
} 
'<input type="submit" value="" name="button" id="button" class="button" />';

Thank you for your replies and input. 

:)

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.