PHP And MySQL Queries

berridgeab

Hello

I have a design issue that I have never really known how to approach solving. Its a generic question not related to any specific scenairo. When I need to query a database table i.e. say a generic product table, sometimes I need to restrict what rows I return. I.e. I may only want products that have not been sold.

So my SQL string would look somthing like

$query = "SELECT * FROM products WHERE status != 'Sold';

Sometimes I perform more complicated queries on other tables. Say for instance I may need to join my product table to a theoretical orders table. This would result in a SQL query like

$query = "SELECT * FROM orders LEFT JOIN products ON products_id = orders_product_id WHERE order_id = 1 AND status != 'Sold';

My problem is that I now have 2 different pieces of SQL code in 2 different places. Both snippets of code have something in common

status != 'Sold' /*This is the only bit im really interested in*/

What is the best way to maintain bits of SQL code that needs to be the same across the entire site?

What is the best way to maintain bits of SQL code that needs to be the same across the entire site?

you could create a 'view' in your database for the products table that only 'matches' status != 'Sold' and use the view name in the queries instead of the products table.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.