php books vs understanding open source scripts

phpboy07

Is it really mandatory to read php books.?to enhance your understanding of what php can do.?or just donwload some scripts(some are difficult) then understand what is the code and how it is developed then just rely to forums and tutorials if some of the written code is confusing to the learner..so what is your tips and guidance or any other suggestions.?

If you know exactly nothing about OOP, C++-based languages or basic control structures of programming languages, you're going to have a **very** hard time understanding a minified source code of an OS-script, so I **highly** recommend reading books about PHP if you don't know what I am referring to in the above few lines.

@phpboy07... I am also a newbie at php also...have you ever thought about youtubing php video tutorials?...there are alot of tutorials that cover the basics of php (some videos are good at putting it into words that people with no programming experience can understand) on youtube and some even have a link to the source code...so you can download and view it...I tried the book route but it was so boring having to read pages about the technical definition of functions...and sometimes also getting confused on the programming terminology that they used sometimes... It was much easier to watch somebody show how to code PHP on youtube...anyways for me books were a waste of time and money...I learned in 1-2 weeks from youtube videos and the PHP help forums than I did trying to learn from a book....but different people have different learning style...maybe test different learning styles and choose from there...good luck

Edited by learningphpisfun

The problem with "youtube tutorials" is that there is not one single respected php developer making them. They are made by hacks that have learnt some basics by watching "youtube tutorials".

Learning to program (like most things in life) is not really something that can be done by trying to take shortcuts. If by nature you need things spoon fed to you, it is highly likely that you don't have the aptitude to be a software developer and if you ever do get there, the real world is going to be a really tough place.

I tried the book route but it was so boring having to read pages about the technical definition of functions...

You can always use a text-2-speech program/device if you like the lines to be spoken instead of having to read them.

Edited by ignace

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.