Photo upload file size issue?

froppo

Hey there,

I've been dabbling in PHP/MySQL for quite a few years. You'll have to forgive me, most of what I have learned has been self taught and therefore my programming vocab is very limited.

That being said I've stumbled on a problem that I just can't figure out. I recently followed a tutorial that taught me how to build a fairly effective photo upload/gallery system for my website. It works just fine when dealing with photos of a small size (less than 1MB) but I keep getting an error with photos that are bigger. I have diligently searched through the code and made all the adjustments I can think of in order to allow larger photos to upload but I can't figure it out. So here is the error that I receive when attempting to upload larger photo sizes:

Warning: getimagesize() [function.getimagesize]: Filename cannot be empty in php_parsers/photo_system.php on line 94

ERROR: That image has no dimensions

OK. Now for the code. It's pretty substantial so I'll attempt to just include the relevant part. I have commented the offending 'line 94':

if (isset($_FILES["photo"]["name"]) && isset($_POST["gallery"])){
	$sql = "SELECT COUNT(id) FROM photos WHERE user='$log_username'";
	$query = mysqli_query($db_conx, $sql);
	$row = mysqli_fetch_row($query);
	if($row[0] > 1000){
		header("location: ../message.php?msg=The demo system allows only 1000 pictures total");
        exit();	
	}
	$gallery = preg_replace('#[^a-z 0-9,]#i', '', $_POST["gallery"]);
	$fileName = $_FILES["photo"]["name"];
    	$fileTmpLoc = $_FILES["photo"]["tmp_name"];
	$fileType = $_FILES["photo"]["type"];
	$fileSize = $_FILES["photo"]["size"];
	$fileErrorMsg = $_FILES["photo"]["error"];
	$kaboom = explode(".", $fileName);
	$fileExt = end($kaboom);
	$db_file_name = date("DMjGisY")."".rand(1000,9999).".".$fileExt; // WedFeb272120452013RAND.jpg
	list($width, $height) = getimagesize($fileTmpLoc); //OFFENDING LINE 94

if($width < 10 || $height < 10){
		echo "ERROR: That image has no dimensions";
        exit();	
	}

if($fileSize > 10485760) {
		header("location: ../message.php?msg=ERROR: Your image file was larger than 10mb");
		exit();	
	} else if (!preg_match("/\.(gif|jpg|png)$/i", $fileName) ) {
		header("location: ../message.php?msg=ERROR: Your image file was not jpg, gif or png type");
		exit();
	} else if ($fileErrorMsg == 1) {
		header("location: ../message.php?msg=ERROR: An unknown error occurred");
		exit();
	}
	$moveResult = move_uploaded_file($fileTmpLoc, "../user/$log_username/$db_file_name");
	if ($moveResult != true) {
		header("location: ../message.php?msg=ERROR: File upload failed");
		exit();
	}
	include_once("../php_includes/image_resize.php");
	$wmax = 8000;
	$hmax = 9000;
	if($width > $wmax || $height > $hmax){
		$target_file = "../user/$log_username/$db_file_name";
	    $resized_file = "../user/$log_username/$db_file_name";
		img_resize($target_file, $resized_file, $wmax, $hmax, $fileExt);
	}
	$sql = "INSERT INTO photos(user, gallery, filename, uploaddate) VALUES ('$log_username','$gallery','$db_file_name',now())";
	$query = mysqli_query($db_conx, $sql);
	mysqli_close($db_conx);
	header("location: ../photos.php?u=$log_username");
	exit();
}

Any ideas or help would be greatly appreciated. I've been banging my head on my keyboard for over a week trying to figure this out. Could this be a php.ini issue? Am I doing something wrong with the temp file name?

Thanks in advance for your help!  :confused:

isset($_FILES["photo"]["name"])

when there's an upload error (most commonly due to exceeding the upload_max_filesize setting), all the elements of the $_FILES array will be set, though most of them will be empty.

you need to test if the upload worked before you can reference any of the uploaded file information. test if $_FILES["photo"]["error"] is set and is equal (two == comparison) to zero or alternatively you can test if $_FILES["photo"]["error"] is exactly equal (three === comparison) to a zero.

Hey thanks for your help! Any way you could give me the PHP code I would use to test this and where in the code (above in my original post) I would insert it? Sorry, I'm extremely visual and I get it a lot quicker if I see it.

Thanks!

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.