PHP with LDAP

hackalive

Hi guys,

So I am making a PHP site that I will host and others can make use of (after creating an account), however I want to integrate it with their local LDAP accounts/server.

I do not want to distribute copies of the software for them to put on their servers.

So I am thinking they would first need to visit myproduct.theircompany.com to login (this code would be on a server able to acces their LDAP server), which when it returns as authenticated (OK) it would then rediret to myproduct.com and have them as logged in.

Now my issue is, how do I stop people being able to spoof myproduct.com into thinking someone is logged in, how do I pass the data back from myproduct.theircompany.com to myproduct.com?

Any ideas?

Or questions?

Cheers

I guess you could do a couple of approaches.

1. Host the login on your server.  Make myproduct.theircompany.com forward to the login page.

2. Host the login on your server, but on myproduct.theircompany.com use an include for the login form.  Looks like it is hosted on their server but in reality the form itself is included from your server.

3. Store session information in a database and use a custom session save handler.

I recently did the same thing for work.

We used a very simple mechanism where we created a public / private key pair which both system where aware of.

On the client system you composer a querystring containing your public key and your data and your data hashed together with the private key.

Something like:

$private_key = 'fooisgood';

$s = 'public_key=thisisfoo&data=is_valid';

$hash = md5($s);

$s .= '&hash=' . $hash
You then send $s to your server system.

On the receiving end we can now validate that this string was sent from a system that knows our private key by checking it. eg;

$private_key = 'fooisgood';

$public_key = $_GET['public_key'];
$data       = $_GET['data'];
$hash       = $_GET['hash'];

if (md5("public_key={$public_key}&data={$data}") == $hash) {
  // is_valid is true.
}
Of course I wouldn't use md5 and we added a bunch more stuff to this including a timestamp so that each request only had a short lifespan (60 seconds), but you get the idea.

This is a VERY simple mechanism however. It is blown quite easily if your code gets distributed into the wrong hands as the algorithm is found out.

However, for a lot of cases, this mechanism is fine.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.