Application - Multiple Developers

JohnJ

My friend and I are developing an application. The problem is that we're not sure how we can both view the code that we're working on. We want to be able to view the code upon saving so that we can make changes as necessary without sending the files to each other every time we have an update.

Perhaps use Dropbox. Otherwise I don't really see how you would view it together, other way is Teamviewer but that isn't the best way IMO. Also you dont have both to view the code as you can split the work up, your mate codes the index you do the login tab for example.

Goodluck with it.

Sign up at github.com, create a repository, both install git from git-scm.com, and both clone it to their hard-drives. Either makes changes and pushes this to the github repo, the other one pulls these changes and resolves any conflicts (communication is important here, so you don't throw someone else's work away) during the merge.

To make this merging as smooth as possible you better look into an IDE with proper merging tools (preferably 3 way). At my work a few use lightweight editors like Coda, and Sublime Text, but neither comes with proper merging tools. Therefor you should look to either NetBeans (free), or PhpStorm (89 EUR), or if you got cash to burn Zend (149 EUR).

Somewhere on this forum there is a thread about IDE's it might be worth a look there.

Edited by ignace

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.