Which Linux Distro is best for me ?

ankur0101

Hi,

I am running Windows 7 on my Lenovo S400. I am also a fan of Linux. I want to install install side by side with Win 7.

Purpose ? Nothing special, as simple as most of us, like surfing, watching movies, listening songs and off-course for LAMP.

I am confused which distro to choose. Following are my needs :

Stability :

I want super cool stability. Means it should not create any problems after installation. It should run smoothly.

Performance :

Its all about Speed. Ubuntu 13.10 gives less performance than earlier versions of Ubuntu 9.10

Ubuntu 13.10 comes which graphic effects and new right side scrolling menu which is totally waste for me. I still prefer traditional top menu of Linux which give very good performance.

I dont want flashy things, just simple desktop

Support :

Like Ubuntu LTS gives long time support. Somewhere I read Fedora just give repo support till 12 months, after we need to upgrade to next version.

Following distros comes in my mind :

Ubuntu 12.04 LTS

Fedora 19

CentOS

Linux Mint

Puppy Linux

From them I have not yet used Linux Mint and Puppy Linux.

I have used nearly all versions of Ubuntu. I dont like their latest releases (Ubuntu 10.04 and further). Most of them are freaking buggy.

It just makes me angry because instead of ENJOYING linux, I have to google for bug sulutions. I give a big thumb down of my both hands.

Just downloaded Fedora 19 and tested livecd. Desktop is really nice very clean. No shiny and sparkling things which I like. (Because I think Linux is best for its performance and if it is lacking for that, it is a waste for ME.)

CentOS suits for server environment such as cpanel hosting. But it is very stable. Give very good performance.

On lot of forums, people were writing Linux Mint is best but I dont know why. So if you have used Mint, please give your opinion. (I never used it)

Puppy Linux - Never used.

Among them, I like Fedora 19 but before making any decision, I would like to know more about Mint and Puppy.

Thanks

I don't see Debian on your list, why?

I don't see much point in Mint or Ubuntu, you may as well stick with Windows.

But really, what do you want to use Linux for? If its just for lamp development, just install Vagrant onto your Windows machine and run up a VM whenever you need it. that way you can use whatever distro you need for the job at hand.

If you want to use it as your everyday machine, then why run it side by side with Windows?

But really, what do you want to use Linux for? If its just for lamp development, just install Vagrant onto your Windows machine and run up a VM whenever you need it. that way you can use whatever distro you need for the job at hand.

I want t just for fun. When I will tired of Windows, I will use linux. But should be stable.

And I am using xampp on windows.

• 3 months later...

I was in the same boat as you. Using windows and trying different linux OS's. After a while, I decided to use Linux Mint Debian Edition and it does everything I need it to which is play music, dvds, run my IDE and a LAMP stack and read emails. Normal Mint installs require reinstallation when you want to update, however, LMDE is a "rolling" update which means no reinstalling every 6 months or so.

If you are new to linux don't install any distro along side Windows. Just install Virtualbox and try out the different distros in a VM (installing guest additions is recommended).

Just be aware that this is harder to do with Windows 8+.  You'll have to create a new boot configuration that does not turn on Hyper-V by default.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.