Let user to take picture from webcam/smart phone

pascal_22

Ok! I just see that taditional upload form let user chose to take a new picture or select an existing picture for mobile and smart phone...

On the smart phones where you see the option to take a new picture are you sure you are looking at a web page and not a mobile App?

Now for webcam, do you suggest me to did it in flash or java?

I see on the web some tuto  with jquery and flash!

A Java applet would have to be installed, which many users would probably not choose to do. If you can accomplish this with Flash - and nothing additional to install by the user, except the Flash install, then I'd go that route.

Hi!

Sorry! for your first quote... i mean, when i click on 'browse' button in a webpage that we can upload image... on the mobile, i have the choice to select an existing image or take a pic for the camera!!

For your second quote... you right but flash doesn't work on apple device(iphone,ipad...)

thnaks a have a great day!

Pascal

Sorry! for your first quote... i mean, when i click on 'browse' button in a webpage that we can upload image... on the mobile, i have the choice to select an existing image or take a pic for the camera!!

Hmm, can you provide a site where you see this? If it does work it is likely default functionality by the device and not something implemented in the web site. May only apply to Apple or Android or even browser specific.

My android phone seems to provide the option to take a picture (or several other things) for file inputs. This is definitely something that would be device/browser specific and not something you have control over.

For desktop browser, there is a new JS API called getUserMedia that can be used to access a users webcam/microphone. You could look into doing something with that, however support is a bit lacking still last time I played with it. As far as I am aware, flash provides the ability to access the webcam and mic as well, but I don't know anything about how it would actually be accomplished.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.