What language to learn?

Medavidcook

Hello,

I am looking for some advice, I have a solid understanding of HTML5 and CSS3 and looking at learning something else.

My options are PHP, Java, Python, C++, C#

Different places say that PHP, Java and C# have the most jobs out there but all in different order

What would you say is best and easiest to learn

thanks

You're asking this question in a forum titled "PHP Freaks"? Not exactly a good place to get non-biased responses. But, that question really is difficult to answer. There may be more jobs looking for skill in one language vs. another. But, all that matters is the job that you are looking for. Also, I must assume you are doing this learning "on your own". If you were going for a degree you will be exposed to many languages. Having said that, if you are going to do self learning then pick any one that you are most interested in. Because that is the one you will be more motivated to learn. Because, if you are going to be self taught the only way someone is going to hire you is based upon your portfolio of what you have accomplished.

Well, it really depends on the employer. Some employers may only be concerned if the candidate has experience with the specific language they are looking for. But many/most are really concerned about their "technical" abilities. While there are many programming languages the variances in actual syntax aren't that great. C# & PHP aren't that different in syntax. It's just a matter of knowing what functions the languages have and what they can do. Most employers are interested in the candidates ability to convert logic into code. Learning a new language should not be a significant obstacle for a good programmer.

However, there are some which have significant syntax differences. For example, I used to program in PostScript. That language uses a stack based method which is a very different way of programming. But, most of the languages are mostly similar to C.

In fact, thinking on it now, I would suggest you start with JavaScript (not Java). That is also C based and is a necessity for anyone developing web based applications.

I can only agree to Psycho there as JavaScript (the mainly web-based programming language, though they are quite many uses for it outside of the web which also are very nice to work with) was the language I learned the first and ever since, I've been, well, kept captivated by it. It's the language I know most about and in which I enjoy programming in. Or scripting, but that aside.

PHP is quite a step from JavaScript, but you can quite fairly learn that in little time. Their syntax is pretty much equal besides from variable declaration and from classes and objects, as well as accessing properties or methods of objects.

php is the easiest to learn out of the ones you listed. But it really depends on what it is you want to be doing. If you want to make websites and web-based mobile apps, learn php or perl, and you will want to also learn javascript. If you want to make desktop applications, learn one of the other languages in your list. I personally would go for java or C++. Probably out of those two I'd go for java since it's also popular for developing mobile apps.

Actually Id recommend Java or C# for desktop applications, they are more object oriented languages than C++, while C is only useful for operating system as its procedural and lacking even the most basic object support.

C++ is still the go-to language for the vast majority of desktop apps. And, again, you thinking that OOP is the bestest evar is wearing incredibly thin. Frankly, you'd be laughed out of most interviews if you did that kind of thing in person.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.