Is it dangerous to....?

Love2c0de

Good evening all,

I wanted to know just one thing really and the reasons why if the answer is yes.

Is it dangerous to search your website directory for HTML template file names to match them against a $_GET variable in order to display the correct page?

Thanks for your time.

Kind regards,

L2c.

An alternative is to use file_exists

// absolute path to templates
$template_dir  = $_SERVER['DOCUMENT_ROOT'] . '/templates/';

if(isset($_GET['page']))
{
    // only get the filename
    $filename = pathinfo($_GET['page'], PATHINFO_FILENAME);

$filepath = $template_dir . $filename . '.html'

if(file_exists($filepath))
    {
         // ok
    	include $filepath;
    }
}
Edited by Ch0cu3r

Good afternoon Ch0cu3r,

Thank you very much for your feedback. I've not had chance to test the code out but was looking for an alternative similar to what I had and I think this is it.

In your opinion, what would be the most secure way to achieve what I want and what are the potential security issues with both?

Kind regards,

L2c.

• 3 weeks later...

There are several key points here:

• Make sure you logically enforce what pages are allowed to be called. Note that you may have product requirements in your head (cannot access page X without requirement Y) but this must be enforced inside this layer.
  • You are exposing page names externally. This may not be an issue - depends on your situation (people can very easily guess that an admin page might exist at ?page=admin)

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.