Ajax Not sending info to page

mdmartiny

Hello Everyone,

I am trying to send an id to a second page to delete a row from a mysql table. When the button is clicked it shows on the page that the row has been deleted but when the page is refreshed. The item that was supposed to be deleted has returned and it is still in the database. 

I made a JSfiddle for this http://jsfiddle.net/mikedmartiny/2DKNh/

I would appreciate any help

as a test, what happens if you go to delpage.php?id=1 ( make sure this is a real row id in the database) ? you need to make sure that the php isnt crapping out on the deletion. because its ajax ou could be getting an error back, but the success method triggers. giving you a false-positive,

Also, have you looked at the response being sent back from the server in your browser console?

Edited by gristoi

I get no error messages in my console when I run the script. I actually went into the script and manually put in the id of the item I am trying to delete and it worked. Then when I try and do it dynamically it did not and keeps on doing what it has been doing all along.

Here is the code that I am using for the delete page 

<?php
		require_once("../../includes/config.php");
    	$sql = mysqli_query($db, "SELECT `sender`, `reciever` FROM `conversations` WHERE `conversationID` = '". (int)$_POST['id']."'");
    	$check_sender_reciever = mysqli_fetch_assoc($sql);

if ($check_sender_reciever['sender'] == $session_user_id) {
    		$delete = mysqli_query($db,"UPDATE `conversations` SET `sdelete` = '1' WHERE (`conversationID` = '". (int)$_POST['id']."' OR parent='". (int)$_POST['id']."')");
    	} else if ($check_sender_reciever['reciever'] == $session_user_id) {
    		$delete = mysqli_query($db,"UPDATE `conversations` SET `rdelete` = '1' WHERE (`conversationID` = '". (int)$_POST['id']."' OR parent='". (int)$_POST['id']."')");
    	}

if ($delete === true) {
			$_SESSION['success'] = 'Message has been successfully deleted!'; 
		} else {
			$_SESSION['error'] = "Error description: " . mysqli_error($db);
		} 
?>

You need to use mysqli_affected_rows to check if the query did actually update the table.

if ($delete === true) {
			if (mysqli_affected_rows($db)) {
				$_SESSION['success'] = 'Message has been successfully deleted!'; 
			} else {
				// record was not updated
			}
		}else {
			$_SESSION['error'] = "Error description: " . mysqli_error($db);
		} 
Edited by Ch0cu3r

looking at your javascript code at jsfiddle. This line

var id = $(this).parent().parent().attr('id');

cant find the id value.

The id value you need is from the delete button right?

<input type='submit' id='1' class='delete' value='Delete'>

If is then you need to use $(this).attr('id') to get the id value from the delete button.

using either the mysql console or phpmyadmin check that the queries work using hard coded values, example

UPDATE `conversations` SET `sdelete` = '1' WHERE (`conversationID` = '1' OR parent='1') 
UPDATE `conversations` SET `rdelete` = '1' WHERE (`conversationID` = '1' OR parent='1') 

If they work, then make sure the PHP code actually works by actually submitting data to it via form

<form action="delpage.php" method="post">
  ID: <input type="text" name="id" value="" placeholder="Enter id value" />
  <input type="submit" />
</form>
Edited by Ch0cu3r

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.