Basic rewrite woes

Drongo_III

Hi Guys

I wonder if someone can help. 

I need to rewrite a url that so a pretty url such as /card/somedir/somepage?id=345 will rewrite to the real script page with queries strings

I have been trying the following to no avail:

RewriteEngine On
RewriteRule ^/card/somepage/otherpage/ http://www.mysite.com/card/default.php [QSA]

I really need to bone up on this stuff because I find from one server to the next things seem a bit inconsistent. But anyway if anyone could point out where I am going wrong it would be appreciated.

Drongo

Dont use absolute http urls for the replacement url. This will cause a redirect. Just provide the path to the file the rewrite rule should perform the request to

RewriteEngine On
RewriteRule ^/card/somepage/otherpage/ default.php [QSA]

The url site.com/card/somepage/otherpage/ and site.com/card/somepage/otherpage/?id=345 should call default.php. To get the id from the query string use the $_GET['id'] superglobal variable

Dont use absolute http urls for the replacement url. This will cause a redirect. Just provide the path to the file the rewrite rule should perform the request to

RewriteEngine On
RewriteRule ^/card/somepage/otherpage/ default.php [QSA]

The url site.com/card/somepage/otherpage/ and site.com/card/somepage/otherpage/?id=345 should call default.php. To get the id from the query string use the $_GET['id'] superglobal variable

Unfortunately this doesn't appear to work.

I just get:

The requested URL /card/somepage/otherpage/ was not found on this server.

Additionally, a 404 Not Found error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request.

I assume the apach isn;t finding a match.  Any suggestions?

Try the following rewrite rule

RewriteRule ^card/somepage/otherpage/ default.php [QSA]

default.php should be in your sites root folder

The default.php file is in the card directory. So I tried

RewriteEngine On

RewriteRule ^card/somepage/otherpage/ /card/default.php [QSA]

If I do this as a straight redirectMatch it works fine but I don't think the query string is presreved in that instance.

The default.php file is in the card directory.

Oh, didn't realise default.php was in card directory. 

If I do this as a straight redirectMatch it works fine but I don't think the query string is presreved in that instance.

Yes that should still work with either site.com/card/somepage/otherpage/ and site.com/card/somepage/otherpage/?id=345

Have you tried it?

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.