$status='noob'; echo $status;

r3wt

Hi, i'm new to the forums. my name is r3wt. i've been interested in web design and tinkering with different programming languages. Over the last few months, i have become quite acquainted with the syntax and i'm here to broaden my horizons and join some type of community of other programmers so that i may elevate my skillset. I have excellent knowledge of html css and js, but as far as php i am still at the tip of the iceberg. generally, i will google for code snippets for things i need, and attempt to modify them to suit my needs. i'm tired of this and am ready to branch out and begin writing more complex applications with my own code. 

one hurdle i have is the manner in which php.net explains functions and classes. brilliant programmers, but horrible at conveying ideas.

anywho, my first "project" is building a php/ajax chat from scratch to reside in my javascript based slider, a modified version of meny.js written by Hakim Atel. sure, there are tons of these chats available on the web, but they all have their shortcomings, and node.js is woefully insecure. 

I have already begun work on this project. right now i've just laid the foundation by creating a table to store the messages and message_id, and building the basic interface, while connecting it to my logeddinuser/loggedout user functions to display the necessary content.

any pointers on db interfacing and displaying the chatmessages would be greatly appreciated.

• 2 weeks later...
This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.