How to make include() function work on localhost.

justin7410

Hey guys,

i am working for the first time on a localhost.

at the moment i have an index file and i want to start splitting the page up to make this website dynamic.

at first i tried to take my <head>.( <meta> / <title> tags , ) and include() them with a header.php file

I am not sure if this is something i can even do or if my path is just not correct.

i have my wamp on my C drive and its all through a www folder path.

i then created an include file inside the www, where all files that i would use dynamically would be placed( header, footer, etc..)

i tried two paths: 

include('include/header.php'); - didn't work

i then removed the folder and had all the php files in one folder.

include('header.php');

none of this works , the css of the page doesnt show up. i then replace the <head> info back inside the index, and all works fine.

any suggestions ?

It's always a good practice to set a document root, look here.

defined('SITE_ROOT'') ? NULL : define('SITE_ROOT', 'C:\Apache24\htdocs\project'');
// Or 
defined('SITE_ROOT'') ? NULL : define('SITE_ROOT', $_SERVER['DOCUMENT_ROOT'].'\project'');

Then refering to any file will be simple

require SITE_ROOT.'\includes\file.php';

As for the style sheets

<?php defined('SITE_STYLE'') ? NULL : define('SITE_STYLE', SITE_ROOT.'\css''); ?>

<html>

<link rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" href="<?php echo SITE_STYLE.'\pagestyle.css';  ?>" />

Edited by JIXO

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.