What should I focus on?

webbhelp

Hi!

I got pretty good php knowledge, nothing which will constrain my future learning about these PHP applications.

The problem is I don't know what I should learn, or which application which will be most useful for me.

I got these in my mind:

Drupal, joomla, wordpress, oscommerce, magento, prestashop, etc.

etc means I got every application in my mind =)

I want to learn something I get most use of, where I can earn money, it's always about the money :).

Wordpress, What I understand I can almost do anything there. I can start a blog with it, or an webshop, or a standard website with CMS, right?

Magento, oscommerce, prestashop is only webshops but great ones.

Drupal, joomla... Do i need to learn these? or does wordpress cover those uses?

Then it is between wordpress and magento,etc. 

It might be difficult for you to help me with this choice, but what is the companies requesting now more?

1. If I want to get a job in the web developing business, what will help me most?

2. If I will start my own company and have to sell much sites, in an easy way, what helps me most then?

Do you understand my questions? and why I want them answered? I might learn more than one of course, but this is like a priority list, what I should learn first, second, third.

Thanks in advance =)

you say you have a pretty good php knowledge. Well I would advise you to stop thinking about which 'application' to choose but expand your core PHP knowledge. And not by trying to jump into frameworks. you will end up a semi decent developer with a knowledge of some frameworks. What you really need to focus on is the fundementals : OOP, design patterns, coding standards, version control, TDD ( unit and integration and acceptance testing ) and  methodologies such as AGILE. Once you have these then frameworks are just tools that you can use to fit the project. Learn correctly and the money comes naturally.

It was an unexpected answer... but better than I was expecting =)

That sounds like a great learning method. I searched for this, but I was a little bit confused about the agile, is it like a framework where I easy create my own classes and methods.

Was that example for learning different frameworks to get a better understanding of OOP?

or why should I learn other frameworks instead of something like wordpress?

I actually Don't like wordpress and applications like that, but it seems like many customers and company request people who have those knowledges. Why? I don't know, maybe they think it is a time saver?

1. If I want to get a job in the web developing business, what will help me most?

I'm sure getting familiar with the popular cms out there will help, possibly making themes and plugins, or at least being able to edit them.

But when it comes down to it, you should be focusing on html, css, javascript and your php skills to make complete sites as customers request.

2. If I will start my own company and have to sell much sites, in an easy way, what helps me most then?

You say selling sites, do you mean hosted sites? Are you creating your own cms or customized ones?

Regardless of your answer to this, the answer to question one can be applied in whatever you do.

I have done multi wordpress sites,hosting them,custom themes and plugins, it all takes the time to familiarize yourself with wordpress as a user and also as a developer reading the wordpress codex

• 2 weeks later...

When i started learning Magento, ihad the same question in my mind. Now i develop Magento and Prestashop modules + themes. Here is my experience.

If can afford to spend time in learning then go for Magento, i can see people are moving to this shopping cart rapidly than any other. Its tough but worth.

Presta and other platforms are way easier. So its your choice now.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.