PHP Update MySQL Record

banfw001
Go to solution Solved by Ch0cu3r,

Hi,

I am having a bit of a problem with a simple task and I was wondering if someone would be able to help. I have a php system which allows members to sign up, stores their information in a mysql database, then they can sign in and do all sorts of things. The area I have a problem with is I'm trying to make an update page so that they can edit their details stored in the mysql database. My code is as follows.

<?php

session_start();
include_once "base.php"; //connects to database

$username = mysql_real_escape_string($_SESSION['Username']); // get users username from session
$forename = mysqL_real_escape_string($_SESSION['Forename']; //gets already stored forename
$newforename = mysql_real_escape_string($_POST['newforename']);//post for new forename

$registerquery = mysql_query("INSERT INTO users WHERE Username = '".$username."'(Forename) VALUES('".$newforename."')"); //finds row for the user and updates the forename column with new record
 ?>

<form method="post" action="index.php" name="registerform" id="registerform">  
    <fieldset>  
        <label for="newforename">Forename:</label><input type="text" name="newforename" id="newforename" /><br />        
        <input type="submit" name="register" id="register" value="Register" />  
    </fieldset>  
    </form>  

Unfortunately this code does not update the database at all, however it does not crash or produce any errors!
I would really appreciate any help you can give with this.

INSERT adds a new record not update a record.

You want to use an UPDATE query 

$registerquery = mysql_query("UPDATE users SET Forename='$newforename' WHERE Username = '$username'"); //finds row for the user and updates the forename column with new record

Thanks for your fast response, however this did not work either. Any further help would be appreciated

• Solution

Change your code to

<?php

session_start();

if(isset($_POST['register']))
{
    $username = mysql_real_escape_string($_SESSION['Username']); // get users username from session
    $forename = mysqL_real_escape_string($_SESSION['Forename']; //gets already stored forename

$newforename = mysql_real_escape_string($_POST['newforename']);//post for new forename

$registerquery = mysql_query("UPDATE users SET Forename='$newforename' WHERE Username = '$username'");
    // check if the query has return an error
    if(!$registerquery)
    {
        // display the error
        die('Problem with changing the forename: ' . mysql_error());
    }
    else
    {
        // check the query did change anything
        if(mysql_affected_rows())
        {
            echo 'Forename has been updated!';
            $_SESSION['Forename'] = $newforename; // update forename in the session
        }
        else
        {
            echo 'Forename has not been updated';
        }
    }
}
?>

<fieldset>  
        <label for="newforename">Forename:</label><input type="text" name="newforename" id="newforename" /><br />        
    </fieldset>  
    </form>  

Change your code to

<?php

session_start();

if(isset($_POST['register']))
{

$registerquery = mysql_query("UPDATE users SET Forename='$newforename' WHERE Username = '$username'");
    // check if the query has return an error
    if(!$registerquery)
    {
        // display the error
        die('Problem with changing the forename: ' . mysql_error());
    }
    else
    {
        // check the query did change anything
        if(mysql_affected_rows())
        {
            echo 'Forename has been updated!';
            $_SESSION['Forename'] = $newforename; // update forename in the session
        }
        else
        {
            echo 'Forename has not been updated';
        }
    }
}
?>

<fieldset>  
    </fieldset>  
    </form>  

That's great, thanks so much! Is there a way I can adjust the $update query so that it updates multiple columns like I had originally, so take for instance surname, address, tel number, etc...

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.