Help to get inline HTML to show correctly

Warprunner

I am doing a search engine for free for a Autism site.

I am having a problem with a php query returning an embedded link from a MySql db. The issue is it returns http://mysitename.com and then concatenates the link I had put in which is http://www.ada.com  

In the db Text field it is : <a href="http://www.ada.com" target="_blank">The Americans with Disabilities Act </a>was enacted in 1990 to establish the prohibition of discrimination....   

Results are the link goes to http://www.mysitename.com/"www.ada.com"  (Please notice the quotes as well). I don't know why it's putting in mysitename.com or why it's putting quotation marks around the real link or lastly why it's making my link a sub folder of mysitename.com. 

Pic of the results: results.png

Here is the code:

<?php

// create short variable names

$searchtype=$_POST['searchtype'];

$searchterm=trim($_POST['searchterm']);

if (!$searchtype || !$searchterm) {

echo '<p><strong>You have not entered search details.  Please go back and try again.</strong></p>';

exit;

}

if (!get_magic_quotes_gpc()){

$searchtype = addslashes($searchtype);

$searchterm = addslashes($searchterm);

}

@ $db = new mysqli("*","*","*","*");

if (mysqli_connect_errno()) {

echo 'Error: Could not connect to database.  Please try again later.';

exit;

}

$query = "select * from acronymns where ".$searchtype." like '%".$searchterm."%' ORDER BY title ";

$result = $db->query($query);

$num_results = $result->num_rows;

echo "<p>Number of records found: ".$num_results."</p>";

for ($i=0; $i <$num_results; $i++) {

$row = $result->fetch_assoc();

echo "<p><strong>".($i+1).".  ";

echo $row['acro'];

echo  " - ";

echo $row['title'];

echo "</strong><br />";

echo $row['desc'];

echo "</p>";

}

//  $result->free();

$db->close();

?>

Thank you ahead of time.... this is really driving me nuts!

Are you absolutely, definitely, 100% sure that

In the db Text field it is : The Americans with Disabilities Act was enacted in 1990 to establish the prohibition of discrimination....

is exactly how it is in the database? I don't think it is, partly because I can't help but notice that the screenshot shows something different from what you said.

I think you have something more like

Maybe the output starts with "/" which is the domain name root directory because of the result using addslashes :)

Could you post out the echo of:

$query = "select * from acronymns where ".$searchtype." like '%".$searchterm."%' ORDER BY title ";

echo $query; exit;
Edited by jazzman1

Maybe the output starts with "/" which is the domain name root directory because of the result using addslashes :)

Could you post out the echo of:

echo $query; exit;

Here is the Echo:  select * from acronymns where title like '%ada%' ORDER BY title

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.