Unable to get error message from move_uploaded_file

LLLLLLL

I'm trying to test error conditions for file uploads, but when a file intentionally fails, I'm not even sure how to access the code. Here's a snippet:

$file_arr = $_FILES[ 'digifile' ];
	$fn       = $file_arr[ 'name' ];
	$temp     = $file_arr[ 'tmp_name' ];
	$error    = $file_arr[ 'error' ];
	error_log( 'the error is: ' . $error ); // ** SEE NOTE BELOW

if ( $error > 0 ) {
		$ui->upload_message = "Error during file upload. ";

// try to switch the error to show a relevant message

} else {			
		if ( move_uploaded_file( $temp, $full_path ) )
			// something
	}

My test for now is simple... test a small image file, it's fine. But I have set my max file size to 16MB in php.ini, and I'm intentionally uploading a 19MB file. What is the expected result?

Well I can tell you that the result is this code IS NOT REACHED AT ALL! How is that possible? error_log() doesn't get reached. I don't really know what happens when there is an error, but I'd like to show a customer a relevant message if this happened in the real world. There's no boolean result of move_uploaded_file, either, since like I said THE CODE ISN'T REACHED.

I really don't understand. Any help is appreciated.

I tried to edit the original post to no avail. Here's clearer information:

My test for now is simple... test upload a small image file, it's fine. But I have set my max file size to 16MB in php.ini, and I'm intentionally uploading a 19MB file. What is the expected result?

Here's what I've found:

1) If the php.ini post size ( 8 ) is smaller than the max file size (16), $_POST is empty and so is $_FILES. There's no way to get an error

2) If the php.ini post size (20) is larger than the max file size (20), $_FILES[ 'whatever' ][ 'file' ] gives me a correct result.

Is there a way to get an error that helps a user in scenario #1?

Edited by timneu22

My test for now is simple... test upload a small image file, it's fine. But I have set my max file size to 16MB in php.ini, and I'm intentionally uploading a 19MB file. What is the expected result?

It's imposibble! Did you restart your web server to make those changes available?

1) If the php.ini post size ( 8 ) is smaller than the max file size (16), $_POST is empty and so is $_FILES. There's no way to get an error

Check this out -> http://www.php.net/manual/en/features.file-upload.errors.php

2) If the php.ini post size (20) is larger than the max file size (20), $_FILES[ 'whatever' ][ 'file' ] gives me a correct result.

Yes, that's correct. The post max size should be greater or equal to max file size.

Is there a way to get an error that helps a user in scenario #1?

Use javascript to inform the client if the file is to large, so don't waste the server's resources. 

You cited the load errors list for:

But that doesn't really help answer the question. There IS NO ERROR because $_POST and $_FILES are empty. I realize this is potentially a server issue, but a customer had this issue. Is there any way to know that a post was attempted?

the recommendation is to use $_SERVER['REQUEST_METHOD'] == "POST" to detect if an upload form has been submitted. then, if the $_FILES array is empty, the file size likely has exceeded the post max size setting. you can further check the $_SERVER['CONTENT_LENGTH'] value and do your own comparisons with the maximum size settings to output your own user message.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.