Objective C is beautiful... or nay?

GetFreaky

If anyone has worked with Objective C, especially with Apple's Cocoa framework, then you will understand

@interface myCustomController : NSObject

@end

@implementation myCustomController

@end

or objects/functions

UITabBarController * tabController = [[UITabBarController] alloc];

[objectReceiver objectMessage:param1:param2];

Is it just me or is Obj-C actually beautifully written, I see alot of people complaining on the syntax and it looking messy. I do understand the frustration at first trying to figure out at the square brackets...

Personally I think the syntax for invoking class methods/instance methods, interface/implementation, delegate, structs...etc is better than c++.

what is your thoughts?

It's ugly. It's like Java trying to be Lisp and Python. A high-level programming language should reduce the amount of typing required to do a job, not increase it. Otherwise we can all start programming Assembler again.

Well Object-C provides sort of both ends don't you agree? it has those low-level functionalities, not the same as Assembler I agree, and it has embbed high-level concepts, I think it plays well with both.

Edited by GetFreaky

Maybe I'm just too used to high-level languages, or maybe I don't know enough languages (For example, I don't know C. Need to get around to fixing that), but I tried my hand at learning Objective C once, and it just seemed like an over-convoluted language that went out of it's way to be different, not for the sake of improvement, but just for the sake of being different. But then again, maybe I'm inexperienced and maybe I'm just biased against Apple...

Beautiful would probably be something like ruby or python.  I'm a big fan of C#, as aside from Microsoft's penchant for long ass names, it's an incredibly readable C dialect (it's also a nicer language than Java on the whole, but that's another issue).  C# only gets funky when you start dealing with parameterized types, and it's not really any more difficult than figuring out pointers in C/C++.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.