substr function

Bendoon

Hi im trying to use the substr function in php. I have a string called $finalString and im trying to grab the last character of that string the line of code im using is :

$startIndex = substr($finalString, -1);

it wont work giving the error : 

Warning: substr() expects parameter 2 to be long, string given in /users/2017/bfm3/public_html/cs1109/lab10/markovnew.php on line 34

I cut and pasted your code and surrounded it with my own.

<?php
$finalString="abcd";
$startIndex = substr($finalString, -1);
echo $startIndex;
?>

and it works (output is d). Could you have another line with a substr() in it? Is this really line 34? Did you cut and paste or retype the line when posting?

OK i think its because where i have $startIndex on this line:

$sub = substr($textarea, $startIndex, $ordernumber );

$startIndex contains an actual character and not a number. Is there a way to instead of using substr to extract the character in that space extract the number of how many characters it is in from the start? So if "hello" was the string and "e" was selected it would contain the number "2" ?

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.