Career Progression - Some Advice Appreciated

imageek

Hey Guys (and Girls).

I'm looking for some advice regarding career progression and was hoping some of the lovely people here can help me out.

I'm 30 years old, and I've been using PHP for almost 6 years on a daily basis. I spend a lot of time reading books, learning new topics of interest, putting what I learn into practice. I also use a number of other languages (I'm particularly strong in C#, .NET and WPF), and I'm very familiar with OOP.

But here's my problem. I want to look for work as a PHP developer, but at 30 years old I don't have any commercial experience. I have Aspergers, which has really limited me in terms of working, but through therapy I've learnt to deal with a number of issues. I've just broke up from a relationship, and need to get some job security, and would love the chance to get on the career ladder.

But, no commercial experience, and no portfolio, doesn't do me any justice. The work I've done in the past has been Facebook applications, or sites that are no longer active. I was heavily involved in Facebook spam, and quick tear down sites used to convert traffic into money. Non of which exist.

I was sent to prison for 12 months for computer hacking. But that's hardly an achievement. One thing that may go in my favour is that I'm listed on the Facebook "Thank You" page for reporting security vulnerabilities to them. I was also paid a nice sum for the vulnerabilities I disclosed.

So although I would consider myself a very good PHP developer, I really have nothing to show for it.

I know a number of languages proficiently such as HTML, CSS, JavaScript, NodeJS, ExpressJS, MySQL, MongoDB, C#, PHP ... and the list can go on. But it's all well saying that, but when they read my CV I'll end up in the trash can.

I'd love some suggestions on what to do from here. I probably have about a month to get some bits together to form a portfolio, and by that time I really need to be hunting for work.

Keep in mind that although I can do front end development languages, I really don't want to be working on the front end if possible.

Is there a good chance I can get work?

Thanks for the reply.

Well, I got my CV together today, and found 2 personal projects I was working on, so I pushed them to Heroku. Both show good use of HTML/CSS/JavaScript on the front end. Both are responsive too. One shows my use of PHP the other of NodeJS. So I'll get those looking good and working good.

I have a month with no income worries, maybe two. And in that time I need to work solid, start contributing on GitHub, and build up my StackOverflow account. I think that may help. Not sure if my Eluer Project account will help. I'm on level 38.

It's just some stuff to go in my favour. Even if I'm working for £20,000 a year, to get on the ladder, I don't mind.

Edited by imageek

I have to agree with renatov.  I was primarily working in telecom and internet jobs and used web development to create my own tools and progressed from there.  I found non-profits and NGO organizations a very good place to start. I chose to target veterans organizations since I am one and developed a couple for free.  Because of my background, veterans groups knew I could relate to their needs.  Word of mouth spread and I have several clients now.  Many keep me on to maintain their sites for a monthly fee.  Most charitable groups (small ones) usually have a member or friend that do their website and it's usually a mess.  Who wouldn't want a professionally created website for free. 

I took it a step further and created a back end app that tracks membership, finances, meetings, minutes, profiles etc. that could be used by all small organizations.  I use it in all my new websites as a promotion.  It took me about 3-4 months to put it together but has paid off nicely.  I still build some free sites but most of these organizations pay me a reasonable fee.  

You mention Aspergers, how great would it be to build a site or forum for the many organizations that support that cause?  And to have their site  built by someone with Aspergers.

Edited by possien

I have to agree with renatov.  I was primarily working in telecom and internet jobs and used web development to create my own tools and progressed from there.  I found non-profits and NGO organizations a very good place to start. I chose to target veterans organizations since I am one and developed a couple for free.  Because of my background, veterans groups knew I could relate to their needs.  Word of mouth spread and I have several clients now.  Many keep me on to maintain their sites for a monthly fee.  Most charitable groups (small ones) usually have a member or friend that do their website and it's usually a mess.  Who wouldn't want a professionally created website for free. 

I took it a step further and created a back end app that tracks membership, finances, meetings, minutes, profiles etc. that could be used by all small organizations.  I use it in all my new websites as a promotion.  It took me about 3-4 months to put it together but has paid off nicely.  I still build some free sites but most of these organizations pay me a reasonable fee.  

You mention Aspergers, how great would it be to build a site or forum for the many organizations that support that cause?  And to have their site  built by someone with Aspergers.

possien is absolutely right! There might be nonprofit organizations and even comercial companies that support Asperger. If you built a couple of free very good looking professional sites for them, it would be a great way of appreciating their support AND an excelent way of promoting your work, becoming visible to the market.

Edited by renatov

With the skills listed I find it very hard to believe you can't find any work. Which makes me ponder about your attitude. Clearly you like to show-off, but who doesn't, though I wouldn't go telling everyone you went to jail for exploiting a security vulnerability. HR only hears jail.

Are you an independent contractor or looking for full employment? The company I work for recently hired someone from peopleperhour.com. Perhaps you can add yourself to a few of these websites.

You say you don't have any portfolio. Start by creating a website about yourself and that you are available for hire. This way you may get unexpected job offers. Look for companies that interest you and give them a call. Telling them you want to work there, they find more attractive then when someone pops-in after they have waved a looking-to-hire sign.

Edited by ignace

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.