What's the best way of coding curly braces in a professional environment?

renatov
Go to solution Solved by ignace,

I know there is no official suggestion about how curly braces should be coded, but in your oppinion what style is a better coding practice in a professional environment?

code #1

<?php

function hello_world(){
        echo 'Hello nurse!';
    }

?>

code #2

<?php

function hello_world()
    {
        echo 'Hello nurse!';
    }

?>

I know there is no official suggestion about how curly braces should be coded, but in your oppinion what style is a better coding practice in a professional environment?

The best style (for PHP) is "consistently". I don't care if you put them on new lines or not, just make sure you do it like that everywhere.

The best style (for PHP) is "consistently". I don't care if you put them on new lines or not, just make sure you do it like that everywhere.

Yes, that is a great advice, thanks! PHP manual itself isn't consistent about this and it makes me confuse...

Sorry, I can't program in javascript yet, I'm still learning. Could you tell me what happens, please?

First of all, I'm agree with gurus just to jump into some good coding practice using a PSR standard or to follow a consistently style everywhere in your php application. As a web developer you should start to learn Javascript as well at some point and you will see that most often js and php are going together in your practice, for instance using Ajax or..... some web developers mix them up, which I'm considering as a very bad practice. Here is a simple example that uses javascript's return statement in right and wrong way.

function square(x) {

return { /* right way, good coding style in JS */ 

"return": x *x
   }
}

square(2) 

function square(x) {

return 
{ /* wrong way, the js parcer returns a silent error */

"return": x *x
   }
}

square(2)

This is the first reason to prefer this coding style and the second is that my IDE (NetBeans) formats by default the code in this way and it's too late to change my habits :)

Edited by jazzman1

I agree that the "standard" ("standard" meaning de facto standard that most people use) is #2. However, I personally favor #1. IMO it's easier to read. But overall, I agree that the only true "right" way is to consistently use one style or the other. If you're on a project that has code using #1, use that. If you're on a project that uses style #2, use that.

PSR says that PHP should use a mixed coding style with braces. The example one (no line break) should be used with control structures and the example two (line break) should be used with function, method and class definitions. PSR offers this example:

<?php
namespace Vendor\Package;

use FooInterface;
use BarClass as Bar;
use OtherVendor\OtherPackage\BazClass;

class Foo extends Bar implements FooInterface
{
    public function sampleFunction($a, $b = null)
    {
        if ($a === $b) {
            bar();
        } elseif ($a > $b) {
            $foo->bar($arg1);
        } else {
            BazClass::bar($arg2, $arg3);
        }
    }

final public static function bar()
    {
        // method body
    }
}

I prefer Allman style (#2) for position of comments, and the fact that if you've got longer lines of code you can't see your opening bracket when an indent style is used that leaves opening brackets on the same line. So, I say pick an indent style and stick with it, as long as it is Allman style!

Edited by sKunKbad

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.