$_GET

unknown1

I am using $_GET[] values to run sql queries on my database and display results....

What I want to know it this safe to do so, if I am using PDO prepared statements, and binding the $_GET values with ids in my query...  addition I am escaping the values before they hit the browser.

Do I need to consider anything else to do this safely?

$_GET[] sends the data directly in the URL, which means it is accessible by anyone viewing the page. The URL will look like index.php?id=123 . So if you send passwords it will be directly visible in the URL, which isn't safe. Also this page can be bookmarked and viewed again later.

$_POST[] does not show the sent data. hence it is used to send passwords and secure info. Although if a sniffer is used it too can be read.

The headers beg to differ.

As long as you are escaping and typecasting the data then there shouldn't be any concerns with this method. However I wouldn't send data that is meant to be secured via this method.

My knowledge of PHP isn't that great.

Could you please explain the method to send it securely.

GET and POST are as secure as each other they are just different methods of sending data. GET sends it in the request header and POST sends it in the request body. 

If you really want to send data securely then have a look at SSL (HTTPS) or encrypt your data before sending it.

GET and POST are as secure as each other they are just different methods of sending data. GET sends it in the request header and POST sends it in the request body. 

If you really want to send data securely then have a look at SSL (HTTPS) or encrypt your data before sending it.

Thanks!

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.