controling the bold display of a menu

learningPHP1

Hello,

I have a menu and using css to control the display. problem area: mouse over menu and bolding. for most part the menu works, what i like to do is prevent the bold (mouse over) from pushing surrounding menus to make space to display the bold. I know i need to somehow expand the menu spaceing so that when the mouse over wont pushing the other menus over but cant seem to hit that number. any ideas?

<style rel="stylesheet" type="text/css">
			#navcontainer ul { list-style-type: none; margin: 0; padding: 0; }
			#navcontainer ul li {display: inline;  }
			#navcontainer ul li a { text-decoration: none;  font-size: 18px; 
				color: black; background-color: #FFFFFF;}
			#navcontainer ul li a:hover { color: darkblue; 	background-color: #FFFFFF; text-decoration:underline; font-weight:bold;}
		</style>

</head>

<body>
		<div id="navcontainer">
			<ul>
				<li> <a href="#"> Home</a></li>
				<li>|<a href="#"> Project listing</a></li>
				<li>|<a href="#"> Directory</a></li>
				<li>|<a href="#"> Create project</a></li>
				<li>|<a href="#"> My project</a></li>
			</ul>
		</div> 
	</body>
</html>

Currently you have set no width so it'll only consume the space it needs to fit the text. When you mouseover the text it becomes bold, which requires more space and so the text shifts slightly to the right. To prevent this you need to define a width.

Also rather than hard-coding a pipe character to separate each item in menu, use borders instead

Working example

http://jsfiddle.net/7r6pX/1/

Edited by Ch0cu3r

Thanks for the replay chocu3r but now i have large gaps between menus..not very attractive looking.

Currently you have set no width so it'll only consume the space it needs to fit the text. When you mouseover the text it becomes bold, which requires more space and so the text shifts slightly to the right. To prevent this you need to define a width.

Also rather than hard-coding a pipe character to separate each item in menu, use borders instead

Working example

http://jsfiddle.net/7r6pX/1/

• 2 weeks later...
    <style rel="stylesheet" type="text/css">
    #navcontainer ul { list-style-type: none; margin: 4; padding: 4; width: 100%;}
    #navcontainer ul li {display:inline-block; width: 7%; text-align: center; border-right: 1px solid #000; margin:0; padding: 2px 0; }
    #navcontainer ul li a { text-decoration: none; font-size: 18px;
    color: black; background-color: #FFFFFF;}
    #navcontainer ul li a:hover { color: darkblue; background-color: #FFFFFF; text-decoration:underline; font-weight:bold;}
    </style>
    </head>

<body>
    <div id="navcontainer">
    <ul>
    <li> <a href="#"> Home</a></li>
    <li>|<a href="#"> Project listing</a></li>
    <li>|<a href="#"> Directory</a></li>
    <li>|<a href="#"> Create project</a></li>
    <li>|<a href="#"> My project</a></li>
    </ul>
    </div>
    </body>
    </html>

That is because #navcontainer ul li does not have a defined width attribute so it will take up all the space you are allowing to. Notice the width: 7%; the padding and the margin. By setting the width to 7% you are imposing specific width.

I hope I could help

Edited by Triniton722

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.