PhpNewb314

Hey guys,

I've been writing small PHP scripts for some time now but I haven't been able to find use for a lot of the functions (such as the MySQL functions) because I was only doing small scripts. It's because of this that I've decided to design a game, a text based RPG as my first big project to learn about some of these functions which are not really used in smaller scripts.

I'm registering here since I imagine I will have numerous problems with this and I'm hoping for some help but also I would like advice on the best way to do things since there is just about always more than one. I want the end project to be functional, sure but I would also like to make it as efficient as possible. I chose the text based RPG because there is a lot of different things that need to be done: the login system, including registration and user management etc. (which is a big job in itself making sure everything is secure and efficient - at least for me); social functions such as messages, players online, searching for player profiles and so on; actual game features, particularly the implementation of a ranking system, through the use of XP which is fairly daunting to me at the moment for reasons I'll make clear later and more.

I think that is probably enough about me, I posted this to introduce myself to everyone here and just to say hi, so hi! 

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.