Register/Login Users w/o Database

Our website is hosted by earthlink. They do NOT support any databases on their unix hosting platform. Our website was created using dreamweaver. Again-NO mySQL hosting from earthlink.

Can I create a login/registration system without a database using php or other? Any link to the code?

Can I also track when the user clicks on a link to download a pdf. We want to track what the users download on our inhouse SQL Server database (MS CRM package).

I'll search the forum later today for a book or link recommendations...but if you have any suggestions, I'm listening

I am new to php. I have background with databases (access, informix, sql server) and some web scripting (Python, perl, some asp,javascript)

THANK you VERY much!

[!--quoteo(post=319210:date=Nov 16 2005, 06:41 PM:name=stormin.norm)--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(stormin.norm @ Nov 16 2005, 06:41 PM) 319210[/snapback][/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--quotec--]

Our website is hosted by earthlink. They do NOT support any databases on their unix hosting platform. Our website was created using dreamweaver. Again-NO mySQL hosting from earthlink.

Can I create a login/registration system without a database using php or other? Any link to the code?

Can I also track when the user clicks on a link to download a pdf. We want to track what the users download on our inhouse SQL Server database (MS CRM package).

I'll search the forum later today for a book or link recommendations...but if you have any suggestions, I'm listening

I am new to php. I have background with databases (access, informix, sql server) and some web scripting (Python, perl, some asp,javascript)

THANK you VERY much!

there is a way to do it, IF they support php you can use xml as the db for user login and such, or just a flat file, or since you want to track users downlods on your inhouse db, you would have to have that configured to accept incomming connections, you could use your in house db for the user login, not the most efficinet way to do it but it will work.

• 2 weeks later...

You can use a login script with .htaccess

This is pretty secure, alot more secure than using XML as the database anyway.

i think i saw one on hotscripts.com was under php -> user management i think.

But yes, it can be done.

if there is just a couple of users that are logging in, and will not be changed. then you can just add the usernames in the php page as variables and authorize it that way.

Chris

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.