How do I connect? lol

Avalanche

Well, after doing lots of PHP, I want to try to mix in MySQL.

The only thing is, I can\'t figure out specifically how to connect (I want to connect to a MySQL database on my website, not on my PC).

Let\'s say the dbname was was \"teh_db\", the dbusername was \"teh_user\", and the password for \"teh_user\" was \"teh_pass\". Now how would I connect to the database \"teh_db\" using \"teh_user\"\'s information?

Sorry for the n00bish question, but thanks.

Okay, I get a parse error on line 6 (past your connect code):

[php:1:a74af47b08]<?php

$conn = mysql_connect(\"{HOST}\",$burnttoa_teh_user,$teh_pass);

mysql_select_db($burnttoa_teh_db,$conn);

CREATE TABLE roleplayers ( id tinyint(4) DEFAULT \'0\' NOT NULL AUTO_INCREMENT, first varchar(20), last varchar(20), age varchar(3), race varchar(20), PRIMARY KEY (id), UNIQUE id (id));

INSERT INTO roleplayers VALUES (1,\'Marth\',\'Kujo\',\'23\',\'Elven\');

INSERT INTO roleplayers VALUES (2,\'Flick\',\'Flick\'s last name is unknown to me.\',\'No Clue!\',\'I think he\'s a little bit of everything...\');

INSERT INTO roleplayers VALUES (3,\'Mister\',\'Fallende\',\'Unknown... no one knows... not even himself.\',\'That\'s a secret. Bwarhar!\');

?>[/php:1:a74af47b08]

I made the databases on the site (it automatically puts burnttoa_ before the dbnames and usernames), so I think it\'s connecting right, just something wrong with the tables.

PS: Was I supposed to replace {HOST} with the host name (I\'m pretty sure it\'s localhost) or does it automatically find it? Sorry for the n00bish questions, but thanks again.

yes in the connection, {HOST} should have been the host address.. \"localhost\" works in most cases.

your queries are not PHP, you\'ll need to use PHP\'s query functions to query MySQL:[php:1:9e7885fd9b]$conn = mysql_connect(\"localhost\",$burnttoa_teh_user,$teh_pass);

$q1 = mysql_query(\"CREATE TABLE roleplayers ( id tinyint(4) DEFAULT \'0\' NOT NULL AUTO_INCREMENT, first varchar(20), last varchar(20), age varchar(3), race varchar(20), PRIMARY KEY (id), UNIQUE id (id))\",$conn);

if ($q1==FALSE) {

print \"<code><b>error:</b> query1 failed.<br></code>\";

} else {

print \"<code>query1 was successful.<br></code>\";

}

$q2 = mysql_query(\"INSERT INTO roleplayers VALUES (1,\'Marth\',\'Kujo\',\'23\',\'Elven\')\",$conn);

if ($q2==FALSE) {

print \"<code><b>error:</b> query2 failed.<br></code>\";

} else {

print \"<code>query2 was successful.<br></code>\";

}

$q3 = mysql_query(\"INSERT INTO roleplayers VALUES (2,\'Flick\',\'Flick\'s last name is unknown to me.\',\'No Clue!\',\'I think he\'s a little bit of everything...\')\",$conn);

if ($q3==FALSE) {

print \"<code><b>error:</b> query3 failed.<br></code>\";

} else {

print \"<code>query3 was successful.<br></code>\";

}

$q4 = mysql_query(\"INSERT INTO roleplayers VALUES (3,\'Mister\',\'Fallende\',\'Unknown... no one knows... not even himself.\',\'That\'s a secret. Bwarhar!\')\",$conn);

if ($q4==FALSE) {

print \"<code><b>error:</b> query4 failed.<br></code>\";

} else {

print \"<code>query4 was successful.<br></code>\";

}

mysql_close($conn);[/php:1:9e7885fd9b]

Hope that helps.

Queries 1-4 all fail for some reason. Here is the code:

[php:1:238570100d]<?php

$conn = mysql_connect(\"localhost\",$burnttoa_teh_user,$teh_pass);

$q1 = mysql_query(\"CREATE TABLE roleplayers ( id tinyint(4) DEFAULT \'0\' NOT NULL AUTO_INCREMENT, first varchar(20), last varchar(20), age varchar(3), race varchar(20), PRIMARY KEY (id), UNIQUE id (id))\",$conn);

if ($q1==FALSE) {

} else {

}

$q2 = mysql_query(\"INSERT INTO roleplayers VALUES (1,\'Marth\',\'Kujo\',\'23\',\'Elven\')\",$conn);

if ($q2==FALSE) {

} else {

}

$q3 = mysql_query(\"INSERT INTO roleplayers VALUES (2,\'Flick\',\'Flick\'s last name is unknown to me.\',\'No Clue!\',\'I think he\'s a little bit of everything...\')\",$conn);

if ($q3==FALSE) {

} else {

}

$q4 = mysql_query(\"INSERT INTO roleplayers VALUES (3,\'Mister\',\'Fallende\',\'Unknown... no one knows... not even himself.\',\'That\'s a secret. Bwarhar!\')\",$conn);

if ($q4==FALSE) {

} else {

}

mysql_close($conn);

?>[/php:1:238570100d]

Okay, last edit (I hope...). Here is my code:

[php:1:54b2d9f1da]<?php

$dbh=mysql_connect (\"localhost\", \"burnttoa_tehuser\", \"tehpass\") or die (\'I cannot connect to the database because: \' . mysql_error());

mysql_select_db (\"burnttoa_tehdb\");

if ($q1==FALSE) {

} else {

}

if ($q2==FALSE) {

} else {

}

if ($q3==FALSE) {

} else {

}

if ($q4==FALSE) {

} else {

}

mysql_close($dbh);

?>[/php:1:54b2d9f1da]

(Apparently the thing gives me a string to use to connect, lol)

And here are the errors I get:

Warning: mysql_query(): supplied argument is not a valid MySQL-Link resource in /home/burnttoa/public_html/MySQL.php on line 6

error: query1 failed.

Warning: mysql_query(): supplied argument is not a valid MySQL-Link resource in /home/burnttoa/public_html/MySQL.php on line 13

error: query2 failed.

Warning: mysql_query(): supplied argument is not a valid MySQL-Link resource in /home/burnttoa/public_html/MySQL.php on line 20

error: query3 failed.

Warning: mysql_query(): supplied argument is not a valid MySQL-Link resource in /home/burnttoa/public_html/MySQL.php on line 27

error: query4 failed.

doh :o .. yea, i missed that.

i\'m used to my $conn connection link.

Use this:[php:1:24b28da994]<?php

$conn=mysql_connect (\"localhost\", \"burnttoa_tehuser\", \"tehpass\") or die (\'I cannot connect to the database because: \' . mysql_error());

mysql_select_db (\"burnttoa_tehdb\",$conn);

if ($q1==FALSE) {

} else {

}

if ($q2==FALSE) {

} else {

}

if ($q3==FALSE) {

} else {

}

if ($q4==FALSE) {

} else {

}

mysql_close($conn);

?>[/php:1:24b28da994]

or the longer way would be to change all $conn\'s to $dbh\'s

Okay, apparently this one MySQL tutorial I am reading is complete fubar and none of the things work... so:

1) Any good MySQL tutorials?

and 2)

[php:1:7bc750c6e8]<?php

$conn=mysql_connect (\"localhost\", \"burnttoa_tehuser\", \"tehpass\") or die (\'I cannot connect to the database because: \' . mysql_error());

mysql_select_db (\"burnttoa_tehdb\",$conn);

$q1 = mysql_query(\"SELECT * FROM roleplayers\",$burnttoa_tehdb);

if ($q1==FALSE) {

} else {

}

$q2 = mysql_result($result,1,\"first\");

if ($q2==FALSE) {

} else {

}

mysql_close($conn);

?>[/php:1:7bc750c6e8]

I get this error:

Warning: mysql_query(): supplied argument is not a valid MySQL-Link resource in /home/burnttoa/public_html/MySQL2.php on line 6

error: query1 failed.

Warning: mysql_result(): supplied argument is not a valid MySQL result resource in /home/burnttoa/public_html/MySQL2.php on line 14

error: query2 failed.

What\'s wrong now? lol

<html>

<body>

<?php

$conn=mysql_connect ("localhost", "burnttoa_tehuser", "tehpass") or die (\'I cannot connect to the database because: \' . mysql_error());   

mysql_select_db ("burnttoa_tehdb",$conn);   

$result = mysql_query("SELECT * FROM roleplayers",$conn);

printf(" Name: %s<br>n", mysql_result($result,0,"first"));

mysql_close($conn);   

?>

</body>

</html>

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.