'How' does one use a CMS ?

kutchbhi

This may sound strange, but I really struggle to use ANY php CMS, even though I am fine with frameworks..reason I think is because while using a CMS, I have to google a lot. For every little thing I have to google for several minutes, and keep thinking only if I wasn't using a CMS, I would know exactly what to do...

Now I am building another classified like site, a site that could really benefit from a CMS . But I am wary of giving wordpress another try, since I know I'll spend more time googling than coding.

So if anyone understands my predicament and can offer some suggestions OR knows what I am doing wrong and can suggest a suitable CMS ?

btw I am VERY comfortable with coding in php, its just that CMS seem to require more research than actual coding..

Thanks

I struggle with the same things when trying to use a CMS that someone else built.  If you don't know all the ins/outs of the system it can make it hard to integrate things the best way possible based on how the cms was designed.  I am very comfortable with php and have my own methods doing things.  So for that very reason I designed my own CMS that I use in all my projects.  It's a system that I know since I built the entire thing and is highly adaptable especially to the way that I build websites.  So maybe that's what you need to do, build your own.  Granted I have spent 5 years building mine and has gone through many upgrades as I build more sites but that just makes it better I feel.  Check it out, links in my signature.

• 2 months later...
I really struggle to use ANY php CMS

Any and all CMSs are made to be able to be used by anyone, if you can't 'use' it then the CMS flat out sucks.

If, however, you mean "use" in the context of tweaking the code and creating custom scripts within the CMS, you are posting in the wrong forum.  If that's the case, I'll move this to Third Party PHP Scripts.

Otherwise, when you say I can't use the CMS, I get the impression that you don't understand the label names, and mainly the overall functionality of the CMS, for which you should refer to the documentation.

Edited by Zane

Personally I dislike any ready-made systems because it takes more time to tweak them than doing everything from scratch. But in your case, I'd recommend to read a book about a particular CMS and that way you will no longer have to google everything. I did that with WordPress, I read a book about it, and now I develop websites on it faster without googling every damn thing.

Edited by Stefany93

• 2 weeks later...

Personally I dislike any ready-made systems because it takes more time to tweak them than doing everything from scratch. But in your case, I'd recommend to read a book about a particular CMS and that way you will no longer have to google everything. I did that with WordPress, I read a book about it, and now I develop websites on it faster without googling every damn thing.

This is true and will reign true everytime. Drupal, Joomla, Wordpress, even IPB. All of them could have books (or do) written on them just to encapsulate the power of their systems. You literally can do almost anything or find modifications to do so. With that being said, a lot of this stuff just comes with practice and time. Personally, IPB has taken me almost 5 years to figure out how to do this, or that, or work around this or that. With that being said, it is likely that your road to enlightenment, will come to fruition after some practice.

• 2 weeks later...