alternative to a captcha/recaptcha

Love2c0de

Good morning,

I have a captcha on my website but for some reason within the last day everytime the page loads it automatically focuses on the captcha input field.

I've found a couple things on the net of someone with the same issue but I can't seem to resolve it.

Captcha is an ugly little thing anyway and wondered if there are any alternatives out there? I've seen forms asking to find the sum of 2 numbers but not sure how secure that is from bots.

Thank you very much for your time.

Kind regards,

L2c

Personally, I use a simple math question, and I don't get any spam form submissions any more.

Sure, it could easily be beaten by a bot that is written to specifically look for it, but for most bots, they don't seem to bother going to the trouble.

I ask a question of, for example, 4 + nine (making sure one of the numbers is in written form).

I hate captchas, so there was no way I was ever going to put one on my website.

Another option that I've considered using is adding another form field, which you hide using CSS. This means normal users won't be able to see it, but a bot will see it, and fill it in. If it's filled in, then you know that it wasn't submitted by a human.

Seems like a neat idea.

Edited by denno020

Hi Denno,

Thanks for the reply and advice.

So it wouldn't actually be an <input> with the type of hidden but an <input> with the type of text with a CSS declaration of display:none?

I've just used that technique but used an <input> with type hidden. 

I suppose it would have to be of type text in order for a bot to be able to fill it in? Not sure how bots work!

Kind regards,

Tom

Hi Denno,

Thanks for the reply and advice.

So it wouldn't actually be an <input> with the type of hidden but an <input> with the type of text with a CSS declaration of display:none?

I've just used that technique but used an <input> with type hidden. 

I suppose it would have to be of type text in order for a bot to be able to fill it in? Not sure how bots work!

Kind regards,

Tom

Correct

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.