Need Tips/Advice

Azercii

Apologies if this is in the wrong section, as I'm not too sure what I would need for the things I'm wanting, and I would like to constrain it to one topic if possible.

I had an idea for a gaming community site (http://gamer-cafe.net/), and so far I have a bare-bones layout but I would like an image gallery, and a mod gallery. Problem is, I don't know what to begin learning to even get a basic version of either going :(

This is what I hope to achieve at the end;

• Content uploads are member restricted
  • Users can upload an image of their favourite moment in gaming
  • Users can upload a mod to improve others games
  • Users must include a minimum of one image, a title, a short description, and 4 tags with their upload(s)
  • Users can then download, comment, and rate the content
  • Site will automatically grab thumbnails of the content
  • Content originating from the user will display on their profile

I use PhPBB for the users credentials, so it would need to integrate with that so I could get the users names etc for comments

I know it's a lot, and it's going to take a while aha but I'm up for it and determined, what would I need to learn to get something like these working? :)

I do not, every time I look at it my Brain dies aha

I found an image gallery snippet that I took and examined, so now I know how to adjust that to my needs. All I need to look at now is the PhP stuff, like how to call the users uploaded image and link it back to their profile :)

Et83ii1.png

Do you have any good places/books to check out for PhP?

Just be aware its not something your going to learn over night. It's a programming language. In fact, I would forget whatever project plans you have for the moment, and just spend a few months at least getting your head around the basics.

http://www.phptherightway.com

Yeah, especially if you have no programming knowledge prior to this. It really makes life easier, when learning new languages.

You would also lack in experience, if learning it so fast. If only one could cope/paste experience... :)

• 2 weeks later...

If only! Haha I gave PhP a break, I can't seem to wrap my head around it. I started learning JavaScript using an app I found, apparently learning one makes the other easier? I'm finding JS easier to grip at the moment :)

Well, the problem with starting from nothing to PHP is not that PHP is hard to learn, it's that you start from so far and a "web language" comes with everything around it:

• HTML
  • JavaScript
  • CSS
  • Sessions
  • The HTTP protocol
  • Cookies
  • etc...

So maybe you should learn how to make normal static websites first. I wrote an article a couple of weeks ago that could help you to make sense of all this : http://www.mogosselin.com/learning-php-real-starting-point/  (/shameless plug)

Thanks for the great advice, again ;)

I am putting more focus into my HTML & CSS after your previous advice on my layout(s) and how I can improve them, rather than trying to jump straight into PhP or Javascript :) I'm learning Javascript little by little, maybe one or two lessons(?) a week. It's a nifty little app though, they take a 5 minute video, break it into 4 or 5 segments, then quiz you on each. You can only progress onto the next lesson when you pass the "exam" at the end of each lesson.

They do have PhP but even that confused me, I struggled to take the information in still  :-\

I'll bookmark your site man, started giving it a read and it seems to explain things clear enough, even for me  ;D

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.